Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modifying a Promotional Model.

Does it hurt the value of a promo, if you highlight the door lines?

Say a Corvette Promo. Not a high dollar collectable.

Would you pay more one over the other if you had a choice?

In my opinion, some promos look better with a little definition added.

Look better in the display case.

Just a random thought. I was interested in the thought of others.

Edited by Wheels

It depends on a couple of things. Are you into promos for their "value?" If so, some of them are quite valuable, and altering them in any way will bring down the collector value. If you buy them just for your own amusement (with no intention of re-selling them for profit), then go ahead and do whatever you want, it makes no difference.

REALLLLLLY depends on the promo in question. Modern promos (IMO) will never have the value or following the vintage stuff does.

So, IMO, modify it anyway you want , I doubt it ill hurt the value all thet much , if any.

I collect old Mopar muscle car promos and ANY modifications , repairs, and/or flaws drops the value considerably ( mine are all 1973 and older )

Edited by gtx6970

Guest Johnny

I have all of the 93-96 Camaros and the 88-96 Chevy pickup promos all in the factory colors.

I'm not keeping these for value purposes so I have added detail to some and the rest are waiting for such.

My answer would be unless its a collectible modify it or detail it out.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I could care less if I wanted to detail it! it's mine! :)

Yeah, I agree with what everyone has said so far. I have a Red '93 Camaro promo and I highlighted the door lines and it looks so much better when it sits next the Red '93 Firdbird without highlighted door lines.

I will alter a promo, only if it was "played with, and cannot be saved. This one was scuffed up, and had a busted "A" pillar. Besides I wanted a decent '66 Hardtop, and one was not available in kit form.

2010_1008PresidentObama100124.jpg

I am going to modify this one too, as the windshield frame is busted. I have to scratchbuild a windshield frame, and repaint it. I like the green. I will probably add and detail the chrome trim, and detail the interior too.

1967amcambassadormodel3.jpg

I have restored promos too. I have a 62 Galaxie convertible that needed the

windshield frame header reattached. I drilled it and pinned it using straight-pins.

It will stay together now.

Had the completely replace the frame on the 63 Sunliner twin to the 62.

Used a Prestige kit. Cut out the windshield frame area of the Sportsroof and

mounted into the the body of the 63. Also pinned it through the doors & cowl are into the frame.

Actually Scratch-built the same area on a 63 Falcon Futura Sport convert. Used a Ranchero

as a guide. Traced the frame area, and built it of Evergreen strip, then attached it to the Promo.

Would I buy an already modified Promo??

Depends on What it is, condition and PRICE!!

If I can fix any damage (If needed) or it looks good, and is one I have been looking for,

Yes I would, and Have

I got a 58/59 Chevy Apachie Pickup Promo that was Painted

I also bought a 61 Bonneville Convertible Brush painted red & Blue

Sadly, that one Softened/rubberized when I soaked it in Wesley's to strip the paint in prep for restoration.

That is why I have not bothered to try to strip the Pickup.

Again, these 2 were Cheap!!

The 3 Convertibles above set me back Less than $45.oo Total!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan

I pretty much agree with all you guys.... If a promo has damage that would lessen its chance of being restored properly then it will make a great model done it to a few myself. For me if it can be restored to original shape I will restore them otherwise it will become a model project.,,in some cases its the only way to get the car or body style of one due to no kit being made of it. There were many promos in my dads old collection I have several restored now...

70 GTO

74 Cuda

73 Firebird Formula 400

56 Olds Holiday 4door...etc....

the ones that can not be restored will become models so their not going to waste.

I done a deal with someone on here for a 68 chevy impala promo that i had, and they took my promo and made it a hundred percent better, I love it, and i know what ebay sells them for, but he made it look real, if he wants to post a picture i will let him do it, but let me tell you its sweet. So yeh i think if your not a collecter than do it, lots of promos they dont make a model of or the model is outragis.