Model Cars Magazine Forum

Batman Tumbler - Any News?

Danger

No firm date, but I've seen pics of the built-up that will be used for the box top illustrations, but haven't seen the box-top artwork yet. That at least means it's close. Remember, too, that it's a 6-week boat ride from China to get production kits to the US. They may very well be on the water right now.

I know that the boys at Moebius often take more time than expected, because they want to get it right. I would suggest to them that in the future they wait until they have a second to third generation mockup before they even announce a kit. That way we won't spend a year and a half feeling teased. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Most recent news i've heard is a June release. (happy birthday to me!)

Andy if they didn't expect it to sell they wouldn't be making it. I'll have at least four myself. If it's quality is anywhere near thier Hudson's and '55 Chryslers, it'll sell very well.

And you also have to think about the scfi modeling crowd as well. This should be a big hit.

Exactly, which is the crowd/genre Moebius has built thier stock-in-trade on. The only thing I think that could cause it to bomb would be...say it with me..."Rise of the Dark Knight". That's a movie that stunk out loud as far as i'm concerned. Bane doing a bad Jean-Luc Picard impression, the redundant Catwoman character whose scenes and lines were merely cherry picked from earlier movies and shows. The reduced role of Alfred. Not even Morgan Freeman's presence could help this cinematic abortion. The people who will be buying this kit for the most part will be doing so based on the strength of "The Dark Knight" and the superb performance turned in by the late Heath Ledger, and of course on the first of the failed trilogy, Batman Begins. I'm a fan of Nolan's worked, but I feel he dropped the ball on the finale and just phoned it in. Perhaps there was a pall over the film from the start because of Ledger's death since the Joker was supposed to return. Maybe it was due to Bale's unwarranted ragerant on a hapless stagehand and the back lash from that. Opinions abound and i'm sure that one or more of you might feel differently than me but this has been festering in me ever since I paid PPV $5 for the film and STILL felt ripped off! Glad I never went to the theatre!

However! With the recent spate of models in auto form coming from the branching Moebius, I expect my review of the Tumbler to be way different! As they say in Hollywierd...stay tuned!

Mm, I think you may be in the minority with your opinion of Dark Knight Rises. I certainly enjoyed it tremendously as well as anyone I've ever talked to about it... :)

My question is will the earlier Bat Pod kit slot into the new Tumbler? ;)

Edited by kataranga

Mm, I think you may be in the minority with your opinion of Dark Knight Rises. I certainly enjoyed it tremendously as well as anyone I've ever talked to about it... :)

My question is will the earlier Bat Pod kit slot into the new Tumbler? ;)

Yes, I enjoyed DKR..saw it on the big IMAX screen. Have the Blu Ray now, watched it again recently. Anyway, looking forward to this kit...haven't bought the Bat Pod yet.

Test shots have been reviewed , tooling is approved, instruction sheets are being completed now. I'd like to think that kits should ship at end of April. If that schedule holds then they ought to be available around third week of May..

Now for the disclaimer!- this is the schedule as it should happen, something can always come along to cause delays.. but I'd like to think that kits will be in stores not later than early June.

Dave

Edited by Dave Metzner

Just going by the movies- I can think of at least two ways to build this- as the 'Batmobile' (Well, duh!) and in its military prototype form. And... I can also see it being put to use by sci-fi and post-apoc guys who'll do all sorts of untoward things with it. A buddy of mine is a hardcore military modeler- he wants to take one and build it to represent how it might look and be equipped as if it were a real-life US Military vehicle. And I have no doubts in my mind at all that more than a handful of these will be purchased for those Super Swamper TSL tires. I'm planning on doing at least a couple of variations for this one.

As far as the third Christopher Nolan Batman movie? It was pretty much doomed to fail after how awesome 'The Dark Knight' was. I figured as much going in, but I have to say Anne Hathaway in a skin tight Catwoman suit made it worth seeing at least once. All in all I wasn't thrilled with it, but I didn't hate it. Just wasn't the best send-off for the Nolan trilogy. At the very least we can all be VERY happy the Schumacher years are over and done with. Yeah- the original TV series was campy, but the Schumacher flicks were the wrong kind of campy. :rolleyes:

And I have no doubts in my mind at all that more than a handful of these will be purchased for those Super Swamper TSL tires.

I was thinking the same thing after looking over the 1/12(?) Tumbler toy, and wondering if it could supply two rear Pro Street tires and four SS TSLs. Nor sure if the Tumbler's front tires are based on a real tire or not, though, as the shoulders/sidewalls are a bit funky, and the tread is not typical:

batmobile_Tumbler.jpg

The front tires are Hoosier asphalt tires- I'm not sure if they are regular production or if they were custom-made for the Tumbler.

Ah, so there's an asphalt Modfied kit in Moebuis' future?! You read it hear first!!! :lol:

The front tires on the Tumbler toys I've seen all are peaked at the centerline, so they don't look very good, but those on the real Tumbler, and probably the Moebius kit, could be put to use by many people I'm sure.

I just hope they sell well for Moebius. I asked the question about sales before because of all the SiFi kits at the discount stores through the years.

I can see where you are coming from with that, but I think in this case the Batman and DC Comics connections might help to sell more than a few of these. There are quite a few Batman/comic fans who might not normally buy a model kit, but will pick up this one just because of that connection. I know Lindberg and AMT sold quite a few of their Coke-themed kits to Coca-Cola collectors. Between that and the market for people who want to build/kitbash this, I think this will be a more than decent seller. B)