Model Cars Magazine Forum

Toyota Street Van

Faust

Okay, so some things are just too bizarre for words.

This is one of them, the Minicraft 1/20 Toyota Sports Van! This thing is crazy; it's smaller in 1/20 than most 1/24 vans, but it's got everything you need packed right in there! It's like a weird ricer/vanner love-child!

Check it out, and tell me you don't want one.

You can lie to me, but you can't lie to yourself.

Just because it's awkward, ugly and garish, that's no reason not to want one.

Maybe you didn't notice that the TV was red. That must be it...

:lol:

Edited by Faust

Awesome!

Of course, there's that Nissan Vannette on the side of the Toyota's box, too.

The Kei cars make a very interesting comparison to what we here in North America consider a "compact" or "sporty" or "downsized" car. I mean, look at the Honda Today, compared to a Trans Am (see picture lower in the review), which is supposed to be a sporty car, and is very cramped and small-feeling (I know, I've driven a few!)

• 1 year later...

Are there any more than these two in this weird Japanese Street Van series? I know there's nothing else on the box, but I can't help but wonder what else is out there!

What ever happened to 1/20 as a scale? That seems to have just faded out of popularity...

Are you kidding me?

Those are absolutely over the top!

"Sports for Health"?? What the...

"Hiace Invader"?? What's with the chopper on the roof??

This is totally the Vannin' phenomenon through the lens of cultural distortion.

I sooooo wish I had those top two.

Thanks for showing me these; now I have something to look for!

Darn it, Chip! You're a lucky man! What's the deal with the helicopter? Is it a separate piece, or moulded onto the roof rack?

Wow, a whole $3.00 for the pair?? That's awesome!

I still hope one day I can find either the orange Nissan or the pair of awesome silver vans. I'll keep my nose to the floor a-looking, that's for sure! I'm also certain their hard to miss... :)

= WANT!!!

That thing is amazing! I love the curtain in the "bulkhead" and the chopper just makes it. The decals look perfect, too.

Such an awesome thing to build. Free, it, man! Free the UFO!

I agree with Greg: Vans are totally rad, and all other hip and cool adjectives that are equivalent. Sick? I dunno, I'm too old for this stuff.

Thanks for the sprue shots! Made my day!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

What's with the surf boards? I don't normally associate surfer culture with Vanner culture, but it sure seems that the Japanese do? The Lite-Ace custom I posted at the start of the thread comes with a matching surfboard, too!

I think it's great they way they try and put "Americanism" into these street vans, but it just doesn't work. You know, like a single side pipe, mags, etc. So bizarre!