Model Cars Magazine Forum

1933 MG K3 scratchbuild............

kennb

The MG 2 seater sports car has been one of the longest running configurations that has ever been manufactured. In fact you can buy a 2013 T series right off the assembly line. Basically it has been unchanged since the 30's. Yes, a 2013 T series, built in ,,,,,,where else,,,,,,Asia..................anyway, as a diversion to the 1936, which I am waiting to dry, and as that build is winding down to completion this week I am starting the K3.

I have a community build that is starting in a week that will detail each step of the way but for this thread I am just going through a really editted form starting with the rolling chassis.

For those of you new to my builds, i dont have a machine shop and use only simple basic tools. I have a picture of all my tools on the community build page. Not even my dremel. U get plastic in 4'x8' sheets and go from there........without further adoo......the rolling chassis. :P

DSCN3832_zpse7178754.jpg

DSCN3836_zpsfb71ab50.jpg

DSCN3838_zps93f2a30e.jpg

A reminder to everyone............I do not use and commercial productsin my build other than some tubing. Everything you see is totally scratch built.

Thank you for looking and I hope you look at my updates as they come in.

Kenn :rolleyes:

I am going to spend a little more time on this today and then get back to the Saloon this afternoon getting the assembly started and the interior finshed up. I have been working on the ngine for the K3 and getting it blocked out and some details put on it. A lot of little bits that are a lot of work for little pieces but some progress is being made. In the community challenge I will be going into a lot more detail on it.

DSCN3894_zpsf0004532.jpg

DSCN3893_zps6b5fe92f.jpg

I set up the motor a little more and have the engine mounts placed properly, so each time it is in the same place.

The rear fuel tank is coming together and details placed.

DSCN3892_zps885ba148.jpg

DSCN3891_zpsec68e293.jpg

Thanks to all those that are following this fast track build. :rolleyes:

Kenn :)

Thank you...not totally sure what way the bar is going.......................ha ha.... :lol:

Time gets away from you and fir get into a project and then the day is gone..................

oil pan prior to clean up.

DSCN3918_zps0ac77ece.jpg

mug shot from overhead..............progess,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DSCN3913_zpsde588c69.jpg

Kenn :rolleyes:

hand cut louver preliminary test............................yes of no...all comment accepted....do they look presentable or are they trash............... :lol:

DSCN3922_zps1f4e1b1e.jpg

Thank you for your imput. Note that this is a test and done free hand,

Kenn :rolleyes::huh:

Thanks to you all for the comments.

The louvers I cut in plastic are done with an exacto knife at about 75 degrees and sliced into the plastic freehand.

Complete scratch built cars...I have 5 underconstruction that I have lost interest in that I started after the Tatra, Tha was the first attempt I made at total scratchbuilding a car. The second, if I do actually finish it which I will this week, will be my second completed. That one is the 1936 MG SA Saloon on my other thread.

P1010001_zps7613fba3.jpg

P1010004_zps36bc7463.jpg

Again thank you for the comments.

Kenn

worked a little on this today. got the seats done, chrome back on a few pieces and generator ,belt done, I tryed out using plastic for the belt on this and am ok with it,

DSCN3941_zps3111f7f4.jpg

DSCN3945_zps53b81c04.jpg

DSCN3944_zps33bc3e06.jpg

Thanks to those that are watching and commenting

Note: posted section one to the community challenge, making wheels.

Bob,,,I have always loved the T series but never ended up with one :mellow:

Thanks for posting it, The roof is an interesting one for sure,

Drive train got done.

DSCN3949_zps6453427e.jpg

DSCN3950_zps15bcf594.jpg

Since I did not have all the information a few things might not be to exacting, but I look at it this way, Go with what you have and only 2 people will notice it is not exact.....you and the obnoxious rivir counter,,,,, :lol: I could have gotten better information by more research like I did on the Saloon.

Thank you,,,,,the improvement is inevitable as I learn to do more and learn more of what the plastic can and will do. :rolleyes:

Getting more profiecent is what the hobby is about, without learning new skills or new techniques we can not improve, we need to push the envelope with each build whether it is scratch building or kit building. If we don't strive to do better each time we just end up glueing and painting the same way each time. :P

Again ,,,thanks to all those that watch and comment. The comments also lead to improvement.