Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mclaren MK 8D is finished !1

cobraman

First off I would like to say that someone with more talent then I could have done a much better job with this kit. As built it is not 100% accurate. The instructions for this kit are a bit unclear at times. The build went pretty well until the final assembly. It was a bit tricky for me and I am not happy with the fit of the body panels. Still, all in all I think it came out pretty good. Comments are welcome good or bad. Thanks for looking.

finalmcklaren001_zpsfbbb42a3.jpg

finalmcklaren002_zpsde1fd393.jpg

finalmcklaren003_zpsb80d96eb.jpg

finalmcklaren004_zps76da9f41.jpg

finalmcklaren005_zps334369a1.jpg

The Mk8D is one of the best looking Can Am cars ever and you've done a great job ! I don't see anything wrong with it at all .

I'd like to build one myself some day . The color looks like a perfect match , what paint did you use ?

Ray......please don`t cut yourself short.......personally I have seen your work and I can honestly say.......you did a wonderful job on this build........way better than I could have done 5 years ago.........on that 5 year journey it was pretty rough for me........but,all I could do was thrive to get better.........you are on your way.......stick with it and please don`t say that someone else could have built it better.......because,what really matters is if you are satisfied with it. :) ........again,excellent build.

Thanks guys. You kind words mean a lot to me and do spur me to try and be better. At 61 I have been building for over 50 years. I feel I have hit the wall as far as getting better at building but I still enjoy it. I have read that as we get older something like model building and even jigsaw puzzels are a good way to keep the mind busy and to help keep hand and eye coordination. Did anyone notice I forgot to put the mirrors on ? I just did.

I actually have a couple of these to build. What are some of the things i need to watch for when i go to work on mine?

Yours looks good, by the way.

Mark, my only suggestion is to go slow. The directions are not always that clear. The rear suspension gave me some fits and needs to be just right due to other parts attaching to or fitting around. I also had a bit of a problem getting the pipes to match both level and the same length. I never got mine both the same length so I added some plastic tubing to make them equal. All in all it was a pretty fun build. I hope you post photos when you start yours.