Model Cars Magazine Forum

Watching the paint dry. Rat Roaster (It's dry! Well sort of.) 3/20/13

rmvw guy

It's dry!!!!! Finally, or at least dry enough to handle. Making slow progress and it seems I'm going backwards from the directions. I've already got the windshield installed and the half built engine. Still trying to decide if I want to use the hood or put the tall stacks on the carbs. There are a lot of options with this kit. It is going to be pretty much out of the box. Here's a couple more pictures.DSC04711_zpsfcb82bbc.jpgDSC04712_zps1a1e71f4.jpg

Edited by rmvw guy

A few more updates. Got the Rat Roadster almost finished, then when I was installing the license plate I got some super glue on the paint. Now I need to fix that, I've never got one perfect yet.DSC04714_zps98c2b4d4.jpgDSC04716_zps65dcb438.jpgIn the mean time while I'm watching more paint dry, I got this old '32 out to make some updates. Installed the new steel hood, no paint yet. DSC04717_zpsf4a1224b.jpg A tail light was missing and some of the paint went with it so, my solution was to install these. DSC04718_zps06e6d058.jpgAlso worked on the '50 pickup getting the front end lower by losing the front springs and installing air bags.DSC04719_zps01e244fb.jpgThanks for looking.

Edited by rmvw guy

The purple one came out looking real nice. I have to get my hands on one of them kits or at least some parts from it. I also like how you fixed the red on with those tai lights. The truck came out looking mint,I preferred the first option you had for rims but those are classic. I'm really lovin the exhaust tho on the truck, can you tell me what they are from, I would love to try and get a set.

The wheels were sticking out a little too much for me so, had to bring them in just a little. Forget about those spacers they give you, they are just wrong.DSC04722_zps8855efde.jpgDSC04723_zps48308a71.jpgDSC04725_zpsec9b318b.jpgIn this last picture you can see the damage to the paint over the license plate, I've been working on a solution since the paint isn't matching. Slightly out of focus. DSC04724_zps0db76659.jpg

Edited by rmvw guy

The purple one came out looking real nice. I have to get my hands on one of them kits or at least some parts from it. I also like how you fixed the red on with those tai lights. The truck came out looking mint,I preferred the first option you had for rims but those are classic. I'm really lovin the exhaust tho on the truck, can you tell me what they are from, I would love to try and get a set.

Sorry Jason, I don't know the source of those exhaust. They were in my parts box. The red on the tail lights is just Testors stop light red. Thanks.

Sorry Jason, I don't know the source of those exhaust. They were in my parts box. The red on the tail lights is just Testors stop light red. Thanks.
That's alright, thanks anyways. If you don't mind maybe I'll make a post using your photo and see if anyone knows or has that exhaust. Anyways, everything is turning our real nice. Keep it up

That's alright, thanks anyways. If you don't mind maybe I'll make a post using your photo and see if anyone knows or has that exhaust. Anyways, everything is turning our real nice. Keep it up

No I don't mind Jason, wish I could remember. Maybe I can find out from your post.

I know I don't have a huge following on this one and it is pretty much stock. I think a lot of guys are going to buy this kit for the parts but, I just wanted to build my first one with the parts in the box. I would have painted it green but, another club member already did and I didn't want it to become a competition. One tough thing probably on any '32 is keeping everything symmetrical in front including grill, headlights. axle assembly, wheels, and on this one fenders and moon tank. That's a lot! Hope someone is enjoying this besides me.DSC04741_zpsb1fd3a18.jpgDSC04742_zps74c8befc.jpgDSC04743_zps3471d25d.jpgDSC04744_zps05f7c7e2.jpgDSC04745_zps264d19f3.jpgDSC04746_zpsd0bd5dce.jpg

wow this is great to see, i like the way the front fenders sit and your paint does look good though man you do need a dehydrator back there in indiana i bet! i remember living in Illinois and it was humid all the time. and i always get stung by some last moment goof up like the superglue on the paint from some small piece. personally for things like license plates i have taken to not using glue at all but just a tiny spot of blue-tac putty stuff. works great, avoids super glue or any permanent glue and its marks and is removable if i want to change it later.

kool build, and nice photos too.

Thanks for the comments JB, it means a lot. I always enjoy all your posts. The front fenders in my opinion are as cool as the wheels. It is really difficult getting everything straight and looking right. I am still fairly new at using super glue and love it when it works. I need to be a little more selective about when I use it. In this case I unknowingly got a little drop on my third finger. Box stock spells boring to a lot of builders I think but, I am still having a ton of fun on this build. Every time I post pictures I notice something else wrong with my model. Hopeful I can post corrected pictures in most cases. Funny how things never show up till it gets on here! Notice I drilled holes through the headers for spark plug wires. I'm planing on adding a magneto and wires, a step usually done before the engine is installed. Another chance to mess things up!

Edited by rmvw guy