Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revellogram Tri-Five Warpage

OK, I have a problem that is really starting to bug me. I have two of the Monogram "Car Show" 55 Chevys and one of the Revell "California Wheels" 56 Nomads. Now, I'll be danged if all three of them do not "three wheel" with the front driver side up in the air.

Before I get any polite reminders that we all occassionally do stupid things like put the wrong tires or wheels on the wrong corners or something is misaligned, I have checked, double checked, and triple checked these issues. This simply is not the case with these. The cars all just seem to have been warped out of the box.

They all came from different stores, at different times. And they have all been stored with the rest of my kit stash...which incidentally has no other kits with a warped chassis and stays between 65 and 75 degrees F.

So, I guess my question is, does anyone else have this problem? Or does anyone know of tool issues for these kits? It's really starting to get on my nerves having to warm these up and warp them back into shape.

Edited by Skydime

Yes, I am working on one now and I had to gently adjust the front by sanding the tops of the front coil springs and lightly bending the control arm. This was with the lowered custom parts in the kit however. I also have a nice body side bow on the passenger side that I didn't realize until it was in paint but should be able to be fixed by gluing the passenger rocker panel to the chassis side on final assembly. I thought maybe I just had a random warped kit seeing as I just searched this topic the other day.

I think that's just one of the hazards of building that we all need to watch with every kit we build. I just got a piece of glass so that I'd have a true flat surface to build up my chassis onto. Just assume it won't be 100% and make the adjustments needed to make it sit flat. There are many factors that come into if the car actually sits flat. Some of the components have some play in the way they can be installed. I had a heck of a time with the Heller Citroen panel van since the fit was a bit vague. I finally got it where I needed, then drilled holes and installed some lengths of straight pin in areas for strength.

It's just good building to check the fit and trueness of every part of your build. And absolutely mandatory when you swap in other components... wheels, tires or axle parts, or scratch buld anything!

Edited by Tom Geiger

I have a 55 i was working on and both sides of the body bow out so far from the side of the chassis glueing it to the chassis wont even work!, it's now back in the box 95% done never to see the light of day again.

Yes, I am working on one now and I had to gently adjust the front by sanding the tops of the front coil springs and lightly bending the control arm. This was with the lowered custom parts in the kit however. I also have a nice body side bow on the passenger side that I didn't realize until it was in paint but should be able to be fixed by gluing the passenger rocker panel to the chassis side on final assembly. I thought maybe I just had a random warped kit seeing as I just searched this topic the other day.

Yep, happens with the lowered suspension every time on mine.

Yep, happens with the lowered suspension every time on mine.

It sucks... I mocked up 70% of the kit prior to painting. I spent the time to detail the motor with various wiring, vacuum and fuel lines only to learn that the kit had some issues. The motor was a tough fit which required super glue with accelerator, the suspension has been apart a few times to try and dial it in level, the handling of the body has lead to fine scratches and micro marring in the soft black enamel paint, even the 3 pc dash board was a strange fit together as it require the superglue and accelerator as well. I was starting to think most of it was me and that I am a bit rustier than I thought I was (I probably am still). This was supposed to be the easy build after just finishing the AMT '33 Willys which fought every step of the way. Mild rant complete... sorry to vent on your post, just glad I am not the only one.

The motor was a tough fit which required super glue with accelerator, the suspension has been apart a few times to try and dial it in level even the 3 pc dash board was a strange fit together... sorry to vent on your post, just glad I am not the only one.

Abreviated to save space and directly address...no need to apologize for venting. I'm in the middle of the secend 55 and I've just ran into the motor problem for the first time. Seems the front motor mounts are further apart than the holes on this one, which will result in me drilling them out...or going curbside...depending on how much work I put into the motor. I really believe there is a warp in the mold for the lowered front suspension. And yes, the dash is a strange creature of its own. None of them gave me a real problem. They just all take me a minute to figure out the alignment of the pieces. I am not sure why they didn't just make it a one piece unit with the chrome insert.

Edited by Skydime

Yeah, mine is the black and flame "Car Show" Edition as well. After some deliberation, I think I finally have figured out the main issue with the suspension. The common complaint here is with the lowered front suspension. Both the 55 BelAir and 56 Nomad use it. Heck, when you slide the 56 Nomad chassis in the 55, it is a perfect fit. When examining closely, one can see that the blob that is an excuse for a spindle mounts to absolutely nothing at top. With nothing to mount to on top, there is nothing to help align it and make up for the flimsy front setup ends that are out of shape. There are upper control arms in the kit but, let's face it, they really don't do much aside from sit there. I think the issues are just a result of a worn out tool. Overall, it is a good kit. And I love the 56 Nomad kit as well. But Eric, you are right. It is definitely not a "shake and bake" kit.

Edited by Skydime