Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mullet Monte

1fine89

The Idea behind this build was to create an 80's street machine. You know, that boastful, arrogant, tire squealing jerk who would cruise up and down your local main strip listening to AC/DC and twisted sister honking and yelling at all the young girls on the sidewalk. Yea that car!

A little background about the build. It started as an aerocoupe and after mucking up the paint on that body I decided to switch the body to flatback monte. It has fought me the whole way. First black paint job was sub-par so Into the brake fluid it went. Second attempt was black again with Tamiya black TS-14. After the mist coats were applied I sprayed the first heavy coat. Bam, Milky haze. No worries, some good advice from the good people at MCM and I was able to save it. Another heavy coat and everything came together.

This build has been a lot of first for me. Many parts were scratch build and I really have taken my time with it. I promised myself no new kits until I see this one through. I will not let a black paint job defeat me :)

On with the Pictures

Beginning stages of the scratch made cowl hood

monte3.jpg

Black paint job

photo1_zps2c07dab2.jpg

Custom fuel tank, fuel filter

photo8_zps22ee83c5.jpg

Chassis

photo2-2_zpsdef3ee38.jpg

454, wired, custom headers, dipstick, ect. Interior primed

photo1_zps85fc4315.jpg

Stance

photo5-1_zpse8154095.jpg

Rear view-exactly what I was going for with the gas tank.

photo4-1_zps4dae8fe9.jpg

I still have lots to do-Have a couple small paint flaws to work out, 3200-12000 and a good ole buff should take care of that. Interior will receive flocking, roll bar, and racing details.

Thanks for looking, comments always welcome!

Cheers,

m!ke

Edited by 1fine89

Nice. I think we all remember that jerk. :lol: I drove around with an open Pacesetter header on my '77 Celica GT for a week so guilty as charged. :D

Did you post thumbnail images from your PB? If you could post/upload larger images (850 pixels wide seems to be ideal) we could see a bit more of the detail you're adding. ;)

Don't forget the fuzzy dice, the lace garter hanging from the rear view mirror, and Playboy Bunny air freshener! B)

Nice. I think we all remember that jerk. :lol: I drove around with an open Pacesetter header on my '77 Celica GT for a week so guilty as charged. :D

Did you post thumbnail images from your PB? If you could post/upload larger images (850 pixels wide seems to be ideal) we could see a bit more of the detail you're adding. ;)

Don't forget the fuzzy dice, the lace garter hanging from the rear view mirror, and Playboy Bunny air freshener! B)

Haha yes thats exactly what im talking about-I was also that guy driving around with my friends in my 89 mustang vert, reving it just because I loved the noise!

Yea I will try and fix the small pictures today. not sure what happened with it.

I do have fuzzy dice waiting for the interior. Geez I forgot about the garter belt, that almost would seem more fitting. haha

Very cool so far Mike. I have a feeling that my dad was like that in the late 70's and early 80's , only he drove a 72 Cutlass with a 455 and a custom flame paint job. I would like to eventually replicate it, but that will be once i'm done with the 55 F100 i'm building to replicate his.