Model Cars Magazine Forum

LoBoy Deuce Roadster - 04-09 Got 'er done!

Bernard Kron

This will be an early 60’s style show rod in the vein of the Barris Emperor but with a more conservative body treatment. Lots of chrome, brightly colored paint and the obligatory tuck and roll interior with bucket seats. The work so far has been focused on getting the car down in the weeds and dialing in the stance. As the pictures below show, this required some radical chassis work, with a 3” Z at the rear,a wedge cut into the frame rails just in front of the firewall to lift the front crossmember and a shaved front axle and crossmember at the front. The front end lowering is so extreme I had to notch the frame rails to clear the front spring.

I’m sticking with a full sized grille shell to emphasize the ultra low stance and also installed a small rear rolled pan to bring the back end down. The car will have a chopped windshield and the motor will be a period show motor, either the hemi from the Li’l Coffin, or a Revell Parts Pac Cadillac, in either case with 6 ‘97’s on top. For the moment the wheels and tires are from a Monogram Super Modified Dirt Track Racer unless something else catches my eye.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

DSCF1621-web.jpg
DSCF1629-web.jpg
DSCF1625-web.jpg
DSCF1616-web.jpg
DSCF1634-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Dang Bernard, I must pick up on your thought vibrations or something. That's 3 times now you've posted starts of pretty much exactly whet I was contemplating. It looks great so far...the stance is dead on. I was thinking a Hemi-powered, channeled Rodent Toaster, based on the SDRR.

Guess I'll have to put a different spin on what I was thinking.

Thanx everyone. This will be very cool to work on.

Dang Bernard, I must pick up on your thought vibrations or something. ....

Actually, Bill, it's the other way around. This was inspired by your excellent Z'd frame how-to. I saw that and, despite being in the middle of my own Rodent Toaster, I knew it was time to cut plastic... But I think the Stacey David car could benefit from a heavy dose of retro-radicalizing. Don't let me stop you...

• 2 weeks later...

The car is in paint. Colors are Duplicolor Maroon Metallic over Duplicolor Platinum silver with the interior in Testors Pearl White lacquer with a Duplicolor Wimbledon floor. It has yet to be polished and cleared. The interior was made from the kit interior, cut down to allow for the channel, using part of the seat back for the rear panel upholstery and taking a pair of bucket seats from a Revell 31 Ford Sedan kit. I still have to detail it and select a steering wheel.

The motor is partially assembled, I’m using the block and heads and carburetion from the Li’l Coffin with the transmission from the kit to assure proper alignment.

Still quite a bit of detail work to be done but final assembly shouldn’t be too far away…

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

DSCF1637-web.jpg

DSCF1643-web.jpg

DSCF1640-web.jpg

DSCF1647-web.jpg

DSCF1651-web.jpg

Thanx everyone! :)

More progress. I’ve gotten the interior detailed, including a steering wheel from an AMT ’58 Impala. The motor is largely complete now with Limefire style headers adapted from an AMT Phantom Vicky and chromed accessory drive and generator from a Revell Parts Pac Cadillac.

Now on to the exhaust system, brakes and chassis assembly. Then polish and clear the paint, install lighting and final assembly. Shouldn’t be too long now…

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

DSCF1653-web.jpg
DSCF1656-web.jpg
DSCF1662-web.jpg

The wheel and tire package is a great choice (the midget roadster kit)..... I have not used the trailer from that kit yet but plan to do so soon...

Keep going on this... it looks good!!!

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

Thanx bill. Actually those are full size wheels and white walls from the Don Edmunds Super Modifed in the old Circle Racing Classics Combo kit. Even though the box illustration shows black walls the kit comes with the same white wall tires that can be found in the Monogram Li'l Coffin kit, but with those cool Halibrands instead of the Torq Thrusts in the Coffin kit.

Monogram%206146%20DirtKurtis.JPG

• 2 weeks later...