• Announcements

• General Usage   05/10/2017

If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 

Unglueing small parts?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I bought a motor on E-Bay that is perfect for a kit I'm doing. When it arrived I found that the intake manifold is glued on backwards. I stuck it in the freezer for awhile but it still won't come apart. I don't know what glue was used on it. Any ideas?

Posted

maybe a little heat and a blade ?

Posted

try Simple Green

Posted

It's not a technique for the faint-of-heart, but I've saved about 95% of the gluebomb engines I've taken in by carefully clamping the engine in a vise, (with soft polyurethane or soft-wood paint stir-sticks for padding to prevent crushing). Then an X-acto with a CHISEL tip blade, positioned at exactly the glue-joint line, and struck with a very small hammer to wedge the jiont apart.

USUALLY, the offending part will jump off, wth the offending glue joint splitting clean. SOMETIMES, a chip or two will remain, and some minor repair of the block, head or manifold will be required. And sadly, OCCASIONALLY, the part will shatter or split on some other line (especailly if a lot of tube glue was used).

It's kinda like cutting a diamond.

Posted

OK. thanks for the tips. Now back to it.