Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC '71 Dodge Demon re release

The various retailers all list it as a ' re-issue ', with no additional details. So I assume ( might not be a good idea) it's nothing but a cleaned up tool of the original kit. If thats all it is, I'm good with it.

IF it happens to have maybe the chassis and running gear from the current 71 Duster, Well ,,,,,that just means I get cake AND ice cream.

I'm with many others on here. I have two resin Demons, a 71 and a 72 plus I bought both interiors that Missing Link offered for them. Then I scored gold by getting the decals from The Last Detail. The rare decals that even have The Sizzler on them!!

Only because I thought that a kit that has not been reissued in 42 years could be reissued. I aplaud Round 2 for finding it and restoring it. I know I will buy another one.

I an looking forward to it. Not noing a lot about the differences between years. But what changes were done on the 72 from the 71. My first car I ever had was a ugly light blue 72 demon with a straight 6 with a holly one barrel carb and gas shocks factory installed it even has the air fitting in the trunk so you could fill them up. I remember my dad teaching me how to drive that thing. I bought the 71 duster kit and was going o buy the 72 demon resin to make it. Edit he had to teach me because it was a first time with a stick.

Edited by Trucker_tim

Not noing a lot about the differences between years. But what changes were done on the 72 from the 71.

Grille is different, side markers are diferent as are the interior seat patterns.

And between the release of the Demon and the new 1970 Cuda, I'm gonna blow my whole toys budget on 2 kits, albeit multiple quanities of each

Edited by gtx6970

I've been pining for one of these coveted MPC 1971 Demon kits since I first saw one in 1975 (!!) . One of my friend's older brothers had one ; it was built and on display , and when I saw its box , I was in love !

I'd kinda forgotten about the kit until c.1987 , when I saw it in the Plastic For Sale section in S.A.E.

Asking prices for the kit at *that* time were in the $25.00 - $50.00 range (entirely too much for a 17 year old to afford !).

I can't wait for this kit to finally be reissued !

No more outrageous , stupid prices for a 25th scale kit ( I mean , jeez , I gave $70.00 for a 1:1 1973 Duster in 1992 !!).

Perhaps I'll buy a case of 'em ! I'll definitely have to buy a load of the '75-'76 Dart Sport kits , as those will be discontinued after a short "one run of fun"...

There is currently no information on this reported re-issue. Currently Doug and Jamie are focussing on the mid year releases of which there is no concrete information on yet either. I will keep in contact with them and bring you any news as soon as I have it. The current project being worked on is near and dear to my heart and that is the 1972 Pety Dart sportsman kit.

There is currently no information on this reported re-issue. Currently Doug and Jamie are focussing on the mid year releases of which there is no concrete information on yet either. I will keep in contact with them and bring you any news as soon as I have it. The current project being worked on is near and dear to my heart and that is the 1972 Pety Dart sportsman kit.

Who are 'Doug and Jamie' ? People at Round 2? Isn't the Petty Dart sportsman a '71? The pics of the original kit show a '70-71 style grille..

Who are 'Doug and Jamie' ? People at Round 2? Isn't the Petty Dart sportsman a '71? The pics of the original kit show a '70-71 style grille..

Yes, Doug and Jamie are Round2 employees. The Petty Dart was a kit car that did not identify to any specific year because it was a kit car. I call it a '72 because that was the year it recieved the most press as well as use.

You'll need to mod the 71 Duster chassis to fit the old MPC Demon body, but it WILL fit. I've already done it with the original Demon kit. IF you use the Duster kit to mod it, you can decide if you want the Duster interior or use the original Demon interior. If you use the Demon interior, you MUST grind down the Dusters interior floorpan to get everything to fit properly. But it CAN be done! It looks good too!

The strange thing about the AMT mislabeling the Dart Sport as a Duster is that MPC did the same thing in the '80s when they reissued the Dart Sport. Interestingly, there was also an actual MPC '75 Duster made back in '75, in addition to the Dart Sport kit.

Edited by Rob Hall

The strange thing about the AMT mislabeling the Dart Sport as a Duster is that MPC did the same thing in the '80s when they reissued the Dart Sport. Interestingly, there was also an actual MPC '75 Duster made back in '75, in addition to the Dart Sport kit.

I added the '75(?) MPC Dart Dart Sport above, but the progression is confusing to say the least. :unsure:

I added the '75(?) MPC Dart Dart Sport above, but the progression is confusing to say the least. :unsure:

There were also the MPC Dusters from '71 through '75, which were pretty similar to the Demon and Dart Sport kits. Of all of the original kits of these, the only ones I don't have are the '71s.

1971 : Duster and Demon

1972 : Duster

1973 : Duster

1974 : Duster

1975 : Duster and Dart Sport

1976 : Dart Sport

1977 : 1976 Dart Sport annual was reissued as the "Smokey..." police version

1985 : 1976 Dart Sport was reissued as the mislabelled "Dodge Duster"

2003 / 2004 : 1976 Dart Sport reissued in its 1985 guise , and is again mislabelled : "1975 Duster Hardtop"

1971 : Duster and Demon

1972 : Duster

1973 : Duster

1974 : Duster

1975 : Duster and Dart Sport

1976 : Dart Sport

1977 : 1976 Dart Sport annual was reissued as the "Smokey..." police version

1985 : 1976 Dart Sport was reissued as the mislabelled "Dodge Duster"

2003 / 2004 : 1976 Dart Sport reissued in its 1985 guise , and is again mislabelled : "1975 Duster Hardtop"

I'm sitting here looking at all of those kits right now.....I love the old box art on my kits....The '75 PLYMOUTH Duster...Is the same kit inside as the '74, Only the custom wheels and grill is different......But the body's on the MPC kits makes the AMT '71 body look wrong....I personally never cared for the AMT Duster....Great donor kit.

All the concrete info I have on the 71 Demon and 75 Dart Sport reissues are the kit numbers and that they are planned for 2013 -

71 Demon will be MPC #773, 75 Dart Sport will be MPC #798. As I said, I would expect a "One Run of Fun" issue of the 75 Dart Sport first, since that's how the tooling currently exists, then the "restoration" back to 71 Demon to follow.