AMT Petty Dodge Dart Sportsman Race Car

49 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Is it the Petty kit that is being re-released or another version?

Posted · Report post

Yes, It is the Petty one.

I believe the Warren Stuart or Jim Cushman version was re-issued a few years ago

but with no decals. (Millennium box??)

Posted · Report post

Yes, It is the Petty one.

I believe the Warren Stuart or Jim Cushman version was re-issued a few years ago

but with no decals. (Millennium box??)

It was the Warren Stewart Dart, and yes it was in the Millennium box and the Buyers Choice box.

Posted · Report post

Here are the other AMT Sportsman series cars, though I'm not sure what exactly was shared between the four kits:

They shared everything but the bodies and decals.

Posted · Report post

weren't the grills slightly different too??

The Cushman Duster & Stewart Dart show different grills

on the side panel of the Petty Kit Car.

Posted · Report post

They shared everything but the bodies and decals.

Thanks. Here are the last two releases as mentioned above:

AMTDodgeDrtSportsmanMillenium.jpg

AMTBCDartSportsman.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have talked with Doug Ridge of Round2 and although he is uncertain of it's future at this point, I did bring him up to speed on the Petty "race team" combo kit debacle. While the truck in that kit is also being re-issued, odds are it and the Petty Dart will NOT be reunited. Back in the day, this major faux-pas (I had to look that spelling up! :P ) caused a veritable explosion in the Petty household. While generally being the easy going sort Richard was upset at the fact a Ford truck was paired with thier Dart kit car. His parents Lee and Elizabeth were even more upset. Lee contacted AMT and emmediatelt had the plug pulled on production of the combo kit. This is why it is such a rare piece to find. I have heard rumours that there were less than a thousand that made it to the stores and even that there were around only 500.

Whatever the numbers, the combo set has for decades now, been one of the most sought after race themed kits ever produced. A quick ebay search will confirm the "get out now" mentality as more and more of the Dart and combo kit are showing up now in anticipation of the newer kit arriving. For those of you who want to see the Scamp, Cushman or Stewart kits reissued as they originally were, keep in mind it all depends on the Petty kit numbers. Round2 is going with the name that sells and Petty is it.

Casey- Thanks for all the great pics!

Edited by MAGNUM4342

Posted · Report post

I see in that photo a T233 Valiant Scamp..did it actually have a Plymouth front end?

Posted · Report post

Valiant_Scamp_AMT_T233_zps7137b6ec.jpg

Posted · Report post

Valiant_Scamp_AMT_T233_zps7137b6ec.jpg

I guess that is a 'no'...Dart front end.

Posted · Report post

How about some one do the one that Dale sr did the testing for as Richard could not make it to the test. Dodge ask B Smith from Concord speedway (owner of Lowes) who to put in the car for replacement as Richard could not make it down. They called Dale sr and this was also the start of Dale doing a lot of test driving (racing at Hickory speedway for Petty ent,. Maybe Kevin can get a photo or know's some one that can. I have a friend in Concord that was Dales child hood best friend but not sure if he has the photo from the testing.

Posted · Report post

Without going into detail here, you are best off asking ANYONE else for pictures involving Dale sr. :rolleyes:

Posted · Report post

How about some one do the one that Dale sr did the testing for as Richard could not make it to the test. Dodge ask B Smith from Concord speedway (owner of Lowes) who to put in the car for replacement as Richard could not make it down. They called Dale sr and this was also the start of Dale doing a lot of test driving (racing at Hickory speedway for Petty ent,. Maybe Kevin can get a photo or know's some one that can. I have a friend in Concord that was Dales child hood best friend but not sure if he has the photo from the testing.

A Google search turns up a #8 '74 Charger than Dale drove, but I assume this isn't what you are talking about. Action made diecast models of this car.

140.jpg

Posted · Report post

I have never been aware of Dale driving for Petty, but he did drive some sort of sportsman for Darrell Waltrip. If I remember Darrell's quote right he said "he hit everything but the pace car". But I have never known of Dale driving for Petty at any point. Doesn't mean i'm right though.

A Google search turns up a #8 '74 Charger than Dale drove, but I assume this isn't what you are talking about. Action made diecast models of this car.

140.jpg

That wasn't a test car, that was the car he made his very first start in.

Posted · Report post

He did the test car for Dodge and that led him to driving for the Petty ent at hickory. The blue 74 Challanger but it was a red one of the pics I seen of that car down in NC. If any one is around Concord or China Grove area you can look up a man name of Jim Burr or Conrad Burr and they can fill you in on a lot of the real early years of Dale's things. Jim grew up in the house next door to Dale sr and was child hood best friends.

Kevin, just figur because i'm not even sure if they had a car painted or done up for the test as it was done at a dirt track.

Posted · Report post

When you guys are talking about Darrel Waltrips deal it was not for him, Dale did drive from Gene Isenhour who gave Waltrip his first big ride. The 8 car was own by a guy that Dale was dating his daughter and then he also move over to drive for the same jurk who Kenny Humphill and John Anderson drove for later in the 77 car. Same owner also had the 19 car that Dale drove.

Posted · Report post

Keep in mind, "testing" does not mean "employed by Petty Enterprises." ;)

Posted · Report post

I picked up a millennium kit. If it comes out as a Swinger, I'll have to pick up a couple of them. I'd like to

do this one also.

post-2118-0-29320700-1363270569_thumb.jp

Posted · Report post

Anyone know for certain if this 'new release' is going to be in fact the 71-72 body style or the 74-75 body style that was/is recently avail

Posted · Report post

Anyone know for certain if this 'new release' is going to be in fact the 71-72 body style or the 74-75 body style that was/is recently avail

Yes, the new release will be the "70-72 or whatever" Swinger.

I have one of the millennium series kits and I will be replacing the kit small block with that from an Ertl Duster kit. Or, I'll use the body and chassis with no engine as part of a diorama, depending on astrological events whenever the time comes to build the kit. Also, I've got some info about the actual Chrysler "kit cars"; it's a photocopy of the whole catalog/manual with part numbers, detailed drawings, etc. that I obtained may years ago. I hope to be able to scan and download it one day soon so that I can distribute it to those who would be interested.

Edited by johnbuzzed

kitcarpettyswing742_zpsbdf155ff.jpg

jul10_77-rollie-atlantic_zps8adbc663.jpg

imagesCAPJJOOO_zps6580eccf.jpg

Edited by MAGNUM4342