Model Cars Magazine Forum

glueing headlights/tailights

so i was browsing the forum because my last model i had issues with glue and i learned that elmers glue is great for putting windshields in, and not getting glue everywhere. also, the whole toothpick method is an amazing idea as well.

but what about headlights or tail lights? theres nothing worse than having a model look amazing, then you go to glue on the headlights, and now they are all fogged up and look fake and horrible. any tips for these? would elmers glue work the same? i was thinking about making using some of my testors gloss coat/clear gloss..would that work like a glue?

I've been using Model Master clear enamel to glue in headlight and taillight lenses, along with any turn signal lenses in some kits. I apply it with a toothpick around the edges of the bezels. If you've ever fought with a paint jar lid to get it off, it's proof that dried paint makes an excellent glue.

I keep forgetting to try clear enamel, but I have had some success using Future floor polish for light lenses. Don't think it's quite strong enough for glass though.

as one applies these lenses, how do you keep the lines parallel to the ground and each other?

I'll assume you mean the molded-in lines on a headlight lens? I just eyeball it as close as possible when installing them, then rotate as needed with a toothpick or tip of a hobby blade before the adhesive sets.