Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Edsel - - Mild Custom - FINISHED

Ramfins59

Hey gang. Well the fifth entry into my completed stable of 1958 cars is finally done. Here she is..

.FINISHED58EDSSELSIDEVIEW1024x747_zpsa75e

I am TOTALLY happy with the way the custom grille came out. I cut some PE honeycomb mesh grille material (from MCG) to fit in place of the molded-in plastic grille. I glued it in place with CA glue to some thin evergreen plastic strips I attached to the sides of the grille opening. I CA glued the chrome horsecollar grille surround to the mesh and then CA glued 4 small chrome bullets to the mesh in the center of the horsecollar. I got the idea from a mild custom Edsel I googled while looking for reference pictures.

FINISHED58EDSELFRONT1024x757_zps0728dbab

I attached a pair of Lake Pipes (by Bob Dudek), a second fender mirror I robbed from the Edsel kit I have (without the continental kit), a pair of dummy spotlights and a trunk mounted, swept back antenna from my parts stash. The skirts and continental kit comes in the Edsel "Ultimate" kit. I also added MV lens blue dots to the taillights and an aluminum tubing exhaust tip.

FINISHED58EDSELTHREEQUARTERFRONTVIEW1024

FINISHED58EDSELTHREEQUARTERREARVIEW1024x

Here's a shot of the engine compartment. I used a chrome air cleaner from my parts stash for a little bling. I added an M.A.D. pre-wired distributor, a fuel line, a brake line from the master cylinder and a pin head cap, battery cables and an aluminum radiator cap. The heater hoses came in the kit.

FINISHED58EDSELENGINECOMPARTMENT1024x707

I'm pretty happy with the way this model turned out. Like I said in the WIP thread, it's not my best paint job nor the best BMF work, but it'll do...... "close enough for Gov't. work"...LOL.

Now I can straighten up the workbench and get serious on the '58 Caddy Eldorado that's next in line. Stay tuned for that one.

Thanks Codie and Jim.

Jim, MV lenses are small, round glass lenses you can find in the train section of a well-stocked hobby shop. They come in different sizes and colors (Red, Amber, Green, Blue and Clear. I've used them, depending on the size and color of the lens, for headlights, turn signals, taillights, backup lights, dashboard and console indicator lights, and my favorite, the smallest blue ones, for taillight blue dots. The little blue ones run about $2 or $3 for a pkg. of 4 lenses. They're not the cheapest... but they sure look great.

To use the blue dot ones, I drill a small depression in the face of the taillight lens where you want the blue dot to be, using a drill bit just a little larger than the size of the blue lens. Then put a small drop of clear enamel for the glue in the depression with a toothpick, and then put the blue MV lens in. Let the enamel dry thoroughly and install your taillight lens on the model. To me these lenses look a lot more realistic than other things like blue sequin centers. Once you've used them, you'll love them.

Wow that is Nice! Excellent paint and finishing, I like the engine compartment too, fantastic detailing. Those side pipes fit perfectly on this one. Maybe the Fender Skirts and Continental Kit would be items I left off if it was mine, but otherwise it's just perfect. Great Job!