Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fresh from my workbench II

Back in July of 1999 I happened to check eBay for grins and kicks.

Not really something I had done before, but I decided to check for a model truck, the old AMT T500 Peterbilt California Hauler. I hadn't seen the kit in 30 years and hadn't touched a model since 1979. I bought the 1st T500 kit I saw and built it. THIS is that model.. it's second incarnation.

Originally it was dark red with black fenders (with a nice glue smear on the right fender) and posterboard rear fenders(!). It wasn't bad for my first model truck in 20 years. Sometime in 2004 it suffered a 'shelf accident' and had the cab knocked off the frame. In the process the windows were popped in and some chrome came off taking paint with it. SO I tore the truck apart and stripped the paint thinking I would rebuild it then.

Wrong! Jump ahead to last week, I decided to breath some life back into it.

I removed the lame attempt at a lift axle I had made, then repainted the entire truck brown with yellow stripes and fenders. It looked pretty nice all spiffy and shiny, except the chrome was pretty faded, and the glass was marred. I decided to make a dirty workhorse. Not abused, jut well worked complete with grime, bird poo and bug-guts splattered here and there.

brown359dirty.jpg

brown359dirtyleft.jpg

I didn't use any new parts on this rebuild, only what was used on the original version, which I discovered It was missing a driveshaft, hood ornament, an airbag and some other items. Maybe in another 7 years I'll rebuild it again!

Tim

Looks like it might make a good cover photo even! Very nice photography too!

I remember building that truck when I was in High School. I still have much of the parts spread out all over in parts boxes. I don't remember the hood ornament... but I have an airbag?!?! I think I chopped up the drive shaft trying to make mine a into a 3 axle drive... pretty lame I know...

:wink:

Jarius

Cover photo? Not this one. Look close at the headlights.. the lenses are sunk into the headlight pods.. a 'feature' that was 'built in' when I aquired the kit. If I remember, some things were glued including the engine block, headlamps, and the rear axles (explaining why the brake dust covers are on backwards keeping the wheels/tires from their correct positions.

Tim

Tim,

Enjoyed looking at your work stained Pete. there is something about a work stained piece of machinery that appeals to me. I don't know what its like in the US but here in the UK there are not many trucks that stay show room condition for long. It is great to see machinery restored to better than original, but for me I love to see things doing what they were designed to do!! ie work for their living. The grim is all part of it.

Great work Keep it up.

Dave Bates

:)