Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi BMW Z4 GT3 (Miku themed)

iderek

It's been a while since my last build~ and so, I have finally decided to build another again haha!
This one will be a little special for me since I haven't done a full decal model yet.

This thread has been completed, here's the link to "UnderGlass": http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73255

20130126_182448_zpsf2c61798.jpg

Hope nothing bad happens~ hehe

Ok, so far I have completed the chassis and part of the interior, check it out!

This is will be all OOB, so I will tend to detail it as much as I can with only paint.

20130308_183137_zps62164c2b.jpg

20130308_184912_zps60ccecb8.jpg

20130310_141523_zps38f7b89f.jpg

20130310_141627_zps37360b2f.jpg

20130313_213224_zps879ed67e.jpg

20130313_213326_zpsfc9af725.jpg

Hope you guys like this!

Edited by iderek

I am put off building mine because of the Japanese only decal instructions. I even contacted fujimi and they never replied.

Fujimi is the least, how shall we say, export friendly of the 4 Japanese companies. Even if non-Japanese instructions existed, they'd be in the same garbled machine-translated "English" that the warnings before the assembly diagrams are featured in, and I'm not sure that'd be any more clear than what you got in the kit.

Edited by niteowl7710

Thanks guys~ I'm going to have a lot of fun when I start decal-ling it lol

Like martinfan said. Im holding off on both of my miku kits. I have this one and the gt3 Porsche

So far it looks great. I am put off building mine because of the Japanese only decal instructions. I even contacted fujimi and they never replied.

Well, I'm not Jjapanese, but I can somewhat understand on what to do with the hood and side panels..
I'll let you know what works best as I go along, or I'll keep posting here as a step by step

Okay, I guess I'll do a little step by step with the body~

So, first.. I glued on the 6 separated pieces of the body (front vents, side panels and rear intake)

20130316_203721_zpsac88bb1f.jpg

20130316_203753_zps735e7cab.jpg

I then primed the whole thing using Tamiya Surface Primer (FINE). After drying for a whole night, I laid down the base coat of Tamiya Acrylic X-2 using my airbrush.

20130316_213235_zps13fce904.jpg

My camera sucks lol!

and MORE TO COME~

I'll be watching this one too. I've got this one in the stash. I'm on one hand digging the decals and on the other hand thinking they are the goofiest things I've ever seen. I am really looking forward to seeing what your experience with the decals is. It is looking good so far!

I'll be watching this one too. I've got this one in the stash. I'm on one hand digging the decals and on the other hand thinking they are the goofiest things I've ever seen. I am really looking forward to seeing what your experience with the decals is. It is looking good so far!

Thanks Z~ its quite a handful once you get to the body..

And after waiting for about 3 days for the white to dry, I finally started the decal-ing process!!

Here's my step by step~

First, following the number sequence on the bottom of the picture and applying the required decal in that position.

20130320_180924_zps382364e7.jpg

Here's the progress.

20130320_194817_zps5bc03206.jpg

Some tips I can give you is that;

-decal softener (if you have some) <- will become handy when you have to apply to some curved and angle body panels

-clear paint <- i used Tamiya Acrylic X22 as a decal glue on some tight spots where the decal wouldn't stick

-needle <- to get rid of any air pockets after you applied the decal

-q-tips <- for smoothing out the decal (not really required)

-patience <- you'll definitely need a lot of this! lol :P

Alright, next segment!!

This one is pretty much self explanatory, use the required decal in the following positions.

20130321_223554_zpsd79c0fd4.jpg

I started off from the roof and then worked my way to the trunk (boot).

20130321_223646_zps71b4a3f5.jpg

Take your time on the roof!!

For the holes on the side of the trunk (boot) you'll need to punch it through.

And I did the panel line of the trunk (boot) just so it looks more realistic.

Keep it up she looks awesome. I bet you just cant wait to jump on that hood (bonnet).

Yea man!! that's going to be next~ I just hope I won't screw it up last minute.. haha

Here's the rear bumper section

Same thing with the front, follow the number sequence with the corresponding decal.

20130322_211631_zpsf29ff77f.jpg

And here is what it will look like after.

20130322_222107_zps949cc8eb.jpg

I really like and appreciate you doing the step-by-step shots on this. Looks like you are doing a fantastic job on the decals. Have you thought about clearing them or not? Does the carrier film show very much? I don't really see any in your pics. Keep up the good work Derek!

I really like and appreciate you doing the step-by-step shots on this. Looks like you are doing a fantastic job on the decals. Have you thought about clearing them or not? Does the carrier film show very much? I don't really see any in your pics. Keep up the good work Derek!

no problem Z, and there is a texture to the decal, but it's very little. When you shine a light to it, it shows up like gloss.

I was thinking about if I should clear coat this or not, but I think I will. I'm going to shoot a few layers of Tamiya Acylic X-22 clear, if it comes out pretty smooth, I might just leave it, since I don't want to ruin it lol

Very cool! I really like the Z3 and Z4 anyway....I didnt know they had a kit of the Z4....I have to get me one now!

This is what I did with my Z3 after seeing a real on on the street with a weather beaten rag top..and decided there needed to be a better top for this killer little car. I built mine about 9 years ago before they even made the Z4

finishedltsidetop_zps724f8032.jpg

finishedrtside2_zpsa7748df6.jpg

Very cool! I really like the Z3 and Z4 anyway....I didnt know they had a kit of the Z4....I have to get me one now!

This is what I did with my Z3 after seeing a real on on the street with a weather beaten rag top..and decided there needed to be a better top for this killer little car. I built mine about 9 years ago before they even made the Z4

that looks amazing!!

Looks great.........and very challenging.

It is really challenging once you get to the decal part.

AND HERE'S AN UPDATE ON THE HOOD!!!

For this part, time is your friend.. take as much time as you need!!

On the instructions, follow the number sequence like the rear bumper, and apply the following decal.

20130325_224344_zps89721ab8.jpg

Cut along the line that is dotted on the main hood decal, use the instructions as reference.

For the hood vents, you'll need to cut the clear part of the decal out (you can cut it before applying or cut as you go)

For the hood pin holes, just punch it through like the rear trunk (boot)

Here is what the final product should look like.

20130325_224652_zps0ab0d3e4.jpg

Hope you guys like it!!

You are doing a GREAT job on this so far! It is really looking good.

Thanks Z, appreciate the compliments!!

Ahhhhh Miku <3

She is so hot. I just whish she were real

The first version of this car has a hotter picture of her.

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh419/dtshyk/04a749277f.jpg

Great job on the hood...that looks killer!

Did you pick up the kit in a hobby shop or get it online?

I picked up this kit in a hobby store, I had my eyes on it for the longest time! Just didn't have the money to get it back then.

Derek this is a masterpiece, it will no doubt bring a smile to your face every time you walk past it.

Great job my friend.

Thanks!! really appreciate it~ Everytime I look, I wish I have a real one sitting on my driveway lol