Model Cars Magazine Forum

brass rod for roll cages ?

ok , another question , i was going to build a roll cage from plastic , but i see on the WWW , world wide wed , i can get all kind of sizes of round brass ( cheap too ) i like this idea , has anyone done this , my guess is yes , but just want to pick your brains , Anne ,,,, PS sorry if i ask stupid Q's , i tend to be a pain :mellow:

ok , another question , i was going to build a roll cage from plastic , but i see on the WWW , world wide wed , i can get all kind of sizes of round brass ( cheap too ) i like this idea , has anyone done this , my guess is yes , but just want to pick your brains , Anne ,,,, PS sorry if i ask stupid Q's , i tend to be a pain :mellow:

To build well using brass, you need to master soldering. It's not hard but it's another, different skill (which you may already have). It requires more specialized tools, bending brass rod isn't quite as easy as plastic, and it's not as forgiving (meaning it's more difficult to fix a bend formed slightly out of place). Brass tubing takes far more skill to bend without kinking than brass or plastic rod. All that said, there are some kinda high-end modelers who use a variety of metals and other materials in some incredible work.

Most roll-cage tubing on real cars is between 1.5" and 2", so you don't need a huge variety of sizes to work in 1/24-1/25 scale. Building cages and roll-bars from the appropriate scale diameter plastic rod is really pretty easy and straightforward once you get a little practice in, and what with the price of copper these days (brass is a copper-zinc alloy), plastic rod should be considerably cheaper.