Model Cars Magazine Forum

Poor resin '65 Pontiac Parisienne Sport

Sorry in advance for the long, probably boring, post. But i do have some questions at the end.

Bought this years back from ebay as I thought it would be good to build Pontiacs we have over here in the UK. Unfortunately I was slightly wrong.

I now wish i hadnt put it away for a rainy day build...........

The model has been shortened but not in the right way. It still uses the Bonneville 124" wheelbase not the correct Chevy 119".

65parisienne001.jpg

65parisienne002.jpg

65parisienne003.jpg

65parisienne004.jpg

The lower trim is correct for the Parisienne Sport, as is the hood with PONTIAC on it - neither would be correct for a non Sport Parisienne.

65parisienne014.jpg

The wipers would be wrong for a LHD Parisienne but correct for the RHD version, which uses the Pontiac & not Chevy wipers style.

65parisienne007.jpg

Unfortunately whoever did the master sadly didn't take a great deal of care in checking the spelling for the side & tail panel lettering.

'PARISSIENNE' on the tail light panel

65parisienne015.jpg

'PARIESIENNE' on one 1/4

'PARISSIENNE' on the other 1/4

65parisienne008.jpg

65parisienne011.jpg

Front fender emblems are poor blobs.

65parisienne009.jpg

I'm glad that someone went to the effort of producing it, but the end result is sadly lacking, and its safe to say put me off buying pretty much all resin since.

Has anyone built one of these ?

Did anyone correct the master & is it still available to buy anywhere ? Or is it a case of thats it, you'll have to make do with what you got ?

If its not available, would anyone on here be willing to rectify what i have ? Its way, way beyond my skills.

cheers

Si

I am getting prepared for a break in the weather to start building again and I have just received resin kits from Model Car World ('56 Chevy 2 Dr HT) and from Promolite2000 ("59 Ford & '59 Oldsmobile) and they are excellent quality. The exterior finishes equal a styrene kit and the interior resin has been held to a minimum and even been trimmed by the source. I have built resin kits from both of these sources in the past and have never been disappointed by the quality they furnish. Another plus is that both of these guys are a pleasure to deal with and always eager to insure customer satisfaction.

Simon... that actually looks like a TKM resin... TKM is probably the worst blob of any kind you can get... TKM ruined alot of people of resin kits... I have built several resins over the years and you just need to deal with reputable compnies like The Modelhaus, Bandit Resins, Replicas in Miniature and there are several others that make quality resin kit that would rival the best in styrene... As far as the specific Pontiac you are discussing I really do not have a clue if anyone cast that model... I hope this at least helps a little bit... Dan

I'm glad that someone went to the effort of producing it, but the end result is sadly lacking, and its safe to say put me off buying pretty much all resin since.

well not all resin parts are that bad... so dont let this bad apple ruin your taste for the rare model build up..

I have built several resins over the years and you just need to deal with reputable companies

Every company is different, as Derick and Dan said, so please don't make a blanket statement about all resin casters based on one company's poor quality product (the Pontiac body in this case, and "poor" is being kind!). There are definitely some kits and parts which should be avoided, and this Pontiac is a prime example of a product which should never be considered good enough to send to a customer. Some customers are willing to accept poor quality products for many reasons (desperation seems to be be the #1 reason), but that only encourages the original caster to keep making poor quality products, which helps nobody in the long run.

Without knowing who made this body it's hard to place any blame, but my advice would be to call it a lesson learned, and not waste the time trying to correct it. There is so much wrong with this body, and in so many areas, I fear the time and energy spent would have a far more negative effect on your modeling morale than it did on your wallet. -_-

One of the best things this forum offers is the ability for member to provide honest advice and opinions based on personal, first hand experience with aftermarket products. It never hurts to ask before you buy, even it's a part or body sold second-hand (i.e., not by the original caster) on eBay or similar. Just paging through the Resin & Aftermarket section will give you a good idea which companies provide great products and service, and which should be avoided. If you see a name associated with a locked topic in this section, consider it a pretty good warning sign.

Words escape me as to the quality of that "body". Speaking as a professional resin caster the biggest hurdle those who offer quality and service such as myself face are casters that sell stuff along the lines of the above body. A modeler buys something like that and is quite unhappy. They them assume all resin is that way. Please understand that is not the case. There are some really good casters that work very hard to produce a quality product.

Thanks for the replies & advice guys. In hindsight I probably should of junked it when I got it years back. I've a couple other year resin Pontiacs to build and they are of a much better quality than this 'thing', but it did put me off buying resin for a long time. I was probably kidding myself when I thought I could save it. I'll probably keep the hood to use on another build and junk the rest.

Quote: "Also, that looks NOTHING like a TKM. It's not shaped like a banana, you can't see through it, and there's no hairs sticking out of it, so it can't be a TKM"

THAT IS FUNNY!!!

This Pontiac looks like some of the R&R resins I've bought.

Many times when you buy on Ebay, you're buying someone elses disappointment.

I've learned the more reputable the caster, the less work it takes to make it look like the car you're building.

I have a Modelhaus 62 Chevy Bel-Air and I must have had it for close to 30 years.

Almost as nice as a plastic kit!!