Model Cars Magazine Forum

#1 thing that brings that extra something out of your model

I can only narrow the 'things' down to 3.

Stance and fit are the things I tend to concentrate most on, and what I spend the most time on to get right.

Believable engineering is probably what I obsess about the most.

Ditto! Believable and in scale working features (when I do them) are what counts to me the most!

But all of that is a moot point if the paint is a mess! I've done paint jobs three and four times in the past to get it right.

I have judged at several shows and the three things that we look for to consider a model for an award are: basic modeling skills, decent paint, and overall realism. For example I was judging at a show last weekend and this guy had a decent nova but didn't glue the wheels on, needless to say he didn't place.But of those three what it all boils down to is the finish of the model, if you have a glass finish and the other two things you will be noticed by a judge.

Edited by Austin T

i know that based on being in contests and judging contests, paint is definitely something that draws attention to a model. if the paint gets my attention, then i'll look more inclined to want to look at it in detail (if i'm not judging). Getting a great paint job can take some time and experience, so if that's executed correctly, then i'm sure the detail on the rest of it would have similar quality.

Now if i'm judging i will consider all things: fit, finish, execution, and basics (glue marks, injector pin molds, etc). sometimes it can be hard to narrow down the results, so starting with the basics is first, then paint, then execution/craftsmanship etc

Stance is hands down first for me. A close second is the mandatory smooth paint tied with excellent bmf. From there, it all depends on the particular model.

One thing I try to specify about paint -- smooth does not automatically mean uber-shiny. It just needs to be smooth, as in lacking orange peel (and of course dirt or fingerprints, but that should be obvious :P). It still, and probably always will, drive bamboo under my nails to see a table full of cars that look like they've been dipped in syrup...and it's like that at every show I've ever been to. :D

Cars just aren't that shiny. I know I'm in the minority, but there's a lot to be said for scale sheen.

Rust, dirt and grime.

Thank you!!! I love this comment because reading all the others was beginning to honk me off, mainly because I can never achieve all those things. It almost makes me not want to show any of my models, after all, aren't they really just for fun? Or is this really serious business to some of you?

For me, the "gotcha" factor has more to do with coming up with a cool and unusual color scheme than anything else. Everybody's seen a red Ferrari or Lamborghini. But a light blue Ferrari? A brown Lamborghini? That's something different that draws you in. I take pride in my paint work and detailing, but I really like building something that you don't see every day.

Rust, dirt and grime.

Thank you!!! I love this comment because reading all the others was beginning to honk me off, mainly because I can never achieve all those things. It almost makes me not want to show any of my models, after all, aren't they really just for fun? Or is this really serious business to some of you?

You bring up a really good point. First have fun, everything else should be in second place.

Have you ever built a really good looking model that you hated building?

Edited by Hollywood Jim

@ Hollywood Jim, I really hated doing the 32 Ford "Chromzilla" because of all the chrome parts that had to be working with and not messing them up. It's not like working with a painted part that later you can tuch up or add paint to a spot and clear coat to cover up the epoxy spots or any thing. That thing was the most nerv wrecking car I have ever done.