Photo-Etch wire wheels "15 1/24 or 1/25th

12 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I remember seeing a set somewheres online for a specific car but they would have worked for what I needed them for. I am putting wire wheels on my Aston Martin DB5 I am fiddling with. Don't remember who made them but it was a multi step process to form the rims.

Posted · Report post

I do believe it is Herb Deeks that sells these.

Just type in his name for a Ebay search .

Posted · Report post

or perhaps you saw the fujimi upgrade set for their ferrari, could have been the testa rossa.

also southeast finecast makes some good ones, from england.

Posted · Report post

Detail Master

Posted · Report post

All the above plus Model Factory Hiro and KA models offer wire wheel options. Most are in the 15 inch wheel size. You need to decide what lacing pattern best suits and whether you need big and littles (some are same size front and rear). And don't forget the awesome styrene chrome set on the AMT 65 Riviera and Fujimi sells some styrene sets as well.

Posted · Report post

Good luck finding the Detail Master wire wheels... I don't think they make them anymore. It's a shame, because they were really nice.

Posted (edited) · Report post

deeks2 This is the sellers name for the wire rims.

He sells two different types of rims. A Dayton Wire And a Borrani Wire style rim.

I do believe the Borrani would be the Rim for the DB5. They were the rims on some Jags.

Edited by 1930fordpickup

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the help guys. I looked into these a few minutes ago and I think the Borrani would fit my Aston well. Do I have to use any special type of tires with Herb's kits?

Posted · Report post

One caveat -- I got the Model Factory Hiro Borranis for my 1/25 Monogram/Aurora Maserati GT (a sister kit to your Aston) and they're really too large at 1/24. They appear to have been designed for a Ferrari GTO, with the rear wheels being slightly larger and wider.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the heads up Skip. I'd love to see your Maserati when it's finished. I've got the Jag and the Aston reissues from monogram/revell, I think all I lack is the Maserati.

Posted · Report post

I did receive the wire wheels from Tom's Model Works . I cannot get to my tires at the moment . I bought the 1/32 for an Antique project (1/25-1/24 1902 Rambler - Kay Sun - Strombecker - Hawk) , and a Scratch built 1901 Olds Curved Dash .

The 1/28 scale wheels for a more believable '20's Porter (My Mother the Car) . I'll let you know when I mock these up . Nice wheels , tow different styles in a set . I am not sure these will work for 15" in 1/25th. . Thanx ..