Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Ford Custom 300 big block

jdcar32

jeepers peepers this is amazing and so many questions , like battery terminals , where do you get those ,, and all that little detail stuff , wow unreal build

Anne "all that detail stuff" is from a pile of Evergreen sheet styrene, stretched plastic sprue, and an assortment of old kit parts. The only aftermarket item is the radiator cap and some of the wires. It's fun to scratch build stuff. Get a picture of the detail you need and get creative ! Thanks and have fun..........JD

Nice work on this one!

Was the Lincoln 430 really an option on the '59 Ford? I know it was available (though relatively rare) on the Thunderbird, but have never seen any documentation that it was a factory option in the Ford.

I have a Consumer Guide / Collectible Automobile Quarterly from the 80's with a feature article on the '57, '58, '59 Fords that mentions the 430 as an "unadvertised" option. Admitidly I'm a little sceptical also, I've read a lot of automotive references in my 60 years and this was a new one on me. I suppose during Detroits official racing boycott going on some "skunkworks" versions may have been available. The chassis would have accepted a MEL series motor, the similar Edsel used the MEL engine family.

That is gorgeous! How did you cut open the resin doors without cracking the body? That to me would seem all but impossible.

As to the 430...if it wasn't an "unadvertised" option as CA says, and they usually have pretty decent research, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a "dealer installed option" in more than a few instances!

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575