Model Cars Magazine Forum

"That's some rig, alright!"

This has always been my goal in this hobby. To create the lead truck from Maximum Overdrive. I've seen quite a few people try their hand at it, but almost always use a Kenworth or just stick some random Green Goblin figure head or something on the front. No one that I've seen has ever tried making the truck as accurate as possible.
That said, I got a bit bored so I bought some plasticine to have a preliminary go at sculpting the head as accurately as possible to get the overall size and dimensions right before I have a go at a more permanent clay version. Last thing I sculpted was a terrible slab in an art class over a decade ago, and with that in mind I think I'm off to an alright start.
I don't know how interested people would be, but once I get the thing done I may be able to make a mold and cast a few others so like minded people can build it.
FF_zpsa651e531.jpg

VERY INTERESTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have wanted to build that Western Star ever since seeing the movie!!!!! I had a friend that was a master sculpter and model builder that I was going to ask to make the goblin head for me but he passed away before I could. I think this would be a VERY good selling item. I know a few casters that would probably be very willing to cast it!!!!!

It's really looking great so far!!!!!

Worked a bit more on the left side. Want to get the proportions just right before I start working on the other side. Still not satisfied with the length and shape of the lower jaw. I know for a fact it's not right, but I think some of that is due to the aluminum foil underneath.
While I'm working I've been contemplating how exactly to cast it up when it's done. I was thinking once I cast it initially I'll sand it smooth and dremel out the inside so it's hollow like the real deal so if someone wants to add lights to the eyes (I will be) they can. I'm thinking on the final product I may cast the ears and tongue (and maybe the teeth) as separate pieces. Also, thinking of maybe offering just the head for people that have a WWS kit and a single piece head/hood for people that just want to use a donor kit if I can manage to pull decent casts.
LS_zps381ea230.jpg

Hi Tayson,

Don't get me wrong, I think that the mouth is to big & and the jaw goes down too far. Of course pictures don't do it justice but I did a litlle comparison between your pics and shots from the movie and I found that the lower section of the jaw is lined up to the lower edge of the front bumper. You can see that clear when first time the truck apears in the movie just arriving to the Dixie boy.

The goblin face of this truck is an item that I always wanted but I din't dare to built. I am very happy that someone else is doing it. Keep us posted with as many pictures as you can about this challenging build you have started.

Kostas.

Yeah. When I made my aluminum foil base I was a bit too generous in the jaw. You can see a bit of blue tac on the hood in the second pic. That was actually there to hold on a bumper I was using for reference. I'll definitely be addressing the jaw a bit later, because I know exactly what's wrong and exactly how to fix it, but I'm focused on the topside for now.

Critiques are more than welcome, but be assured I'm not accepting anything less than 100% replication of the source. I've seen this movie, I would wager, more than anyone. I really wish I would have kept count, but I never thought after twenty six years I'd still be watching this movie religiously. Not too long ago I watched it back to back three times. I'm well versed in how this thing should look. As a child I dreamed of owning a truck just like it. This is truly a labor of love for me. I could, more likely than not, reproduce this thing from memory, but to make absolutely sure I'm using plenty of reference material. Movie stills, promo shots, behind the scenes pictures, etc.. If there's ever an area I'm not 100% satisfied with I know exactly what scene to go to to confirm my suspicions. For a perfect profile shot of the face in full view the best scene is where Camp and Brett arrive at the truck stop and the truck tries to run them down for the first time.

No need to worry, guys. That jaw will be fixed, and that unflattering picture makes the jaw look way longer than it is even when it's already longer than it needs to be. Thanks for all the feedback.

Did a bit more work. Still focused on the left side, so the rest is still pretty rough. Ear and teeth are placeholders. Attacked the nose a bit tonight. I've also marked a couple of places that will be taken out on the jaw.

BW_zps15fd5e4f.jpg

Also threw on a quick bit of colour in photoshop to give a better idea of what it's looking like.

CO_zpse97b7b08.jpg

Edited by Tyson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did a bit more work. Still focused on the left side, so the rest is still pretty rough. Ear and teeth are placeholders. Attacked the nose a bit tonight. I've also marked a couple of places that will be taken out on the jaw.

BW_zps15fd5e4f.jpg

Also threw on a quick bit of colour in photoshop to give a better idea of what it's looking like.

CO_zpse97b7b08.jpg

How are you coming on this? I'm really hoping I can get a resin copy from you when it's finished!!!!!!!! I just bought an AMT Western Star in hopes you'll have it avalable some day!!!! Really awesome job on it so far!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

that looks to be the best goblin head yet i've seen a few others their ok but yours looks more like the real thing i just found this online it's a bobble head of the green goblin and was thinking of doing the same thing but as of the rest of the truck i don't know about

post-10027-0-70657000-1371601806_thumb.j

• 1 month later...