Model Cars Magazine Forum

My second Revell '49 Merc build - leveling the roof

Matt T.

For my second Merc (hacked & cut between primer applications of the first, still-unfinished one), I added a .050 shim to the A pillars to correct the forward sloping roofline. These are pictures from two nights ago. Last night I scribed the needed lines in the driver's side with a #11 blade, razor saw and riffler file. It was tough to keep things straight and true, but I think it's done. More pix to come later in the week...

DSC05092-vi.jpg

DSC05096-vi.jpg

DSC05093-vi.jpg

And here is the custom grille I made using the kit's '54 Pontiac grille bar and spotlights for dagmar ends.

DSC04897-vi.jpg

Thanks for lQQkin!

• 1 month later...
For my second Merc (hacked & cut between primer applications of the first, still-unfinished one), I added a .050 shim to the A pillars to correct the forward sloping roofline. These are pictures from two nights ago. Last night I scribed the needed lines in the driver's side with a #11 blade, razor saw and riffler file. It was tough to keep things straight and true, but I think it's done. More pix to come later in the week...

DSC05092-vi.jpg

DSC05096-vi.jpg

DSC05093-vi.jpg

And here is the custom grille I made using the kit's '54 Pontiac grille bar and spotlights for dagmar ends.

DSC04897-vi.jpg

Thanks for lQQkin!

Matt, when I got mine, I was admiring the 'teardrop' shape...then, Uh, oh! They cut the front a little excessive...I set it aside, then saw your post. That fixes it! .050"....039" is a 1/25 scale inch, so this .050" equates to 1-1/4" in the real world. I can see that. This is a MUST DO!

Thanks for the generous tip!