Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT OPEL GT RERELEASE.

azers

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

They were assembled in Germany, but the bodyshell was produced in France,

The 1.1 was an OHV, but the 1.9 was an OHC engine

I had a GT when I was in California. A yellow one I had painted black. The body was built by the French firm Lotz & Brossonneau, a builder of Locomotives, plus the Renault Floride.

• 2 weeks later...

I just have to add this . The kit in nice . I have to agree with the assessment : " What were they smoking" when this was designed and tooled up origianlly . The proper and dependable 4 Popper from Opel being replaced with a Ralphie (Buick) V/6 is outrageous . A mechanical nightmare from it's inception . That is past the Engineering Design origin . The Bean Counters ruined it once again . Is it still 6 Generations of GM V/6's ? Resulting with one of these work like a real American Engine and not a prone to failure and nightmare . An external Oil Pump .. a 40 K Meltaway Camshaft .. I will stop here . The list of fatal flaws is long .. Thanx ..

• 7 months later...

I just finished this kit. Overall it is pretty good, but it does have some issues. The body has a bunch of mold seams, but they are easily removed. However, the rear window/deck area required a lot of carving and sanding to get it to look right. The bumpers have flash and mold seams. I stripped, sanded, and sprayed Alclad on mine. Also, there are no stock rear bumpers in the kit, even tho they are shown in the instructions. The biggest problem is if you want to use the six spoke wheels. The instructions say to use the stock tires, (which are very nice, BTW), but the wheels do not fit the tires AT ALL! I had to do major surgery to the tires to get the wheels in, and then I had to cut away most of the stub on the back of the wheel to get the track right. They do include some plastic pins to take the place of the metal axles, and those are necessary to use those wheels. In general everything fits together well and it makes a nice looking model. I just wanted to give fair warning to anyone building this kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an AMT Opel Gt reissue that I scratch built into an early KS Pittman gasser before the wild paint job. Fitting a blown hemi and opening the rear wheel wells for slicks on this little car was a challenge. It was a lot of work but it's close.

Edited by magicmustang

• 5 years later...
On 3/25/2013 at 9:35 PM, horsepower said:

There are 5 chrome wheels, 4 with baby moon caps for the Polyglas tires, & one without a cap for a spare that would be visible in the "hatch" area.

Is this foddball chrome plated steel wheel a 13" diameter wheel, seen at the extreme lower right in the image below?

AMTopelGTReissue.jpg.1d6d314edc8259ff7263136ee775d7cd.jpg

1970 issue of same(?) steel wheel for comparison:

AMTOpelGTsteelwheels.thumb.jpg.efc9ec3283a610588049782d042bf77d.jpg

Edited by Casey

• 1 year later...
On 10/18/2019 at 1:49 PM, Casey said:

Is this oddball chrome plated steel wheel a 13" diameter wheel, seen at the extreme lower right in the image below?

AMTopelGTReissue.jpg.1d6d314edc8259ff7263136ee775d7cd.jpg

1970 issue of same(?) steel wheel for comparison:

AMTOpelGTsteelwheels.thumb.jpg.efc9ec3283a610588049782d042bf77d.jpg

Yep - it does fit the old AMT compact tires very well; I've scrounged up four on eBay to get a full set. They were the front wheels for the tube axle drag option, which gives an excuse for having five lugs instead of four.

On 10/18/2019 at 2:29 PM, Phirewriter said:

Interestingly the 6 spoke racing wheels in that kit appear to be the same as what's in my AMT Lola T70 static version of their slot car kit. Perhaps they were moved to the Opel tooling?

Thanks Michael - I was wondering where those came from!

22 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Yep - it does fit the old AMT compact tires very well; I've scrounged up four on eBay to get a full set.

You dirty scoundrel! No wonder I keep getting outbid!! :angry::lol:

22 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

They were the front wheels for the tube axle drag option, which gives an excuse for having five lugs instead of four.

I think I was specifically hoping they were 4-lug, not 5-lug, but I'll still keep my eyes peeled for some. Thanks for the confirmation.

40 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

FEBE4F34-B219-4FA0-B4FE-2ED6381DE3E9.jpeg.11fc35345c042b65dfc08514424caf70.jpeg

Here’s the last version of the open GT..  yes, it is a Saturn Sky badged as an Opel.  First Opel ever made in the USA!

410D8033-43C4-4D10-BCEF-A3336E9D023B.jpeg.b78be2d11f31224ead9a85047dbeb3b8.jpeg

B2DA3BDF-54B1-443D-B898-573B475394AD.jpeg.544c94794311a40849a570fbfe9a34eb.jpeg

We’ll never see a kit, so it’s nice to have some very nice diecast!

are they the same as the vauxhall roadster we had in the uk? i cant remember its name off hand but i remember something about a lotus chassis

2 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

are they the same as the vauxhall roadster we had in the uk? i cant remember its name off hand but i remember something about a lotus chassis

No, that was the VX220 and Opel Speedster. I don't believe that Vauxhall got a version of the GT/Sky/Solstice.