Model Cars Magazine Forum

what do these terms meen?

Im sorry if I sound stupid but I have seen a few terms pertaining to how you guys plan to build a project that im not quite understanding. I think OOB meens out of box rite? But what is this curbside? There has been a few others that escape me at the moment. So please don't beat on me to bad for not knowing im just realy curious. Thanks in advance

Ok so what would you call this "uptown dodge mmagnum R/T" that I just picked up it has a bunch of premade movable parts like doors hood and rear hatch BUT the motor is basicly a single molded piece that you can only see if you open the hood? Oh and im kinda thinking of turning it into an el camino type thing lol

Ok so what would you call this "uptown dodge magnum R/T" that I just picked up it has a bunch of premade movable parts like doors hood and rear hatch BUT the motor is basicly a single molded piece that you can only see if you open the hood? Oh and im kinda thinking of turning it into an el camino type thing lol

A toy. Not a very accurate kit.

A toy. Not a very accurate kit.

It really is a toy, same goes for the Caddy kit, the Chrysler 300/the Escalade, and the Super Bee Charger, all toys pretending to be a model kit

Not all kerbside kits have molded in hoods, most do yes, but there are some like the AMT promo Chevy trucks that have a separate hood, and a lot of the Japanese kerbside kits have separate hoods too

Ok so what would you call this "uptown dodge mmagnum R/T" that I just picked up it has a bunch of premade movable parts like doors hood and rear hatch BUT the motor is basicly a single molded piece that you can only see if you open the hood? Oh and im kinda thinking of turning it into an el camino type thing lol

"Junk", "Not a real MAGNUM", "ripoff". :D I only say not a real MAGNUM because it's a wagon and never should have been given that name. ;)

And don't confuse the Uptown Magnum kit w/ the Magnum SRT8 kit being reissued next month...the full detail SRT8 kit is very nice, the Uptown kits seem very cheesy to me with the goofy sissors doors and oversized wheels and tires..they remind me of cheesy Jada diecast, very toy-like.

Lol wow I feel like I just got dooped. And to be honest I got it cause .....well it was cheap and im broke and I want to try a realy crazy paint job for the first time as well as polishing im just realy concerned about how you polish without screwing up the factory moldings and such

Lol wow I feel like I just got dooped. And to be honest I got it cause .....well it was cheap and im broke and I want to try a realy crazy paint job for the first time as well as polishing im just realy concerned about how you polish without screwing up the factory moldings and such

It happens to all of us. We all have kits on our shelves that turned out to suck. Use it to practice your skills on.

Derek..you buy and build how ever you wish..they are all toys, (u heard of the old saying..who ever dies with the most toys win) and if it makes u happy..that's all that counts..and i want to see that crazy paint job ...and one more thing ,their is no such of a thing as a stupid question... :)

Edited by Swamp Dog

No there are stupid questions and they are only asked by stupid people lol. I was working in the meat dept. and was onced asked what part of the cow the pork chop comes from :D seriously though another couple term you see here are

LHS local hobby shop

NNL No Name luminares ( I just learned this one after 2 yrs it's model shows around the country)

Purple pond is a common term for purple power which is used to strip paint.

Edited by mnwildpunk

You didn't get duped, Derek. The "Uptown" series of Revell kits were based on die-cast metal models, so they aren't as accurate as some styrene, injection-molded kits which were designed to be model kits from the start...but don't let that stop you. ;)

I don't think they are so bad as to label them toys, and even though the Uptown kits had compromises in the design phase which hurt accuracy, the Uptown Magnum will work just fine for what you have planned. You can see how far the rear wheels are tucked into the wheel wells on the Revell Super Bee Charger if you look at the box art online, but the Upton series die-cast models (and he "LARGE" Magnum) were set up with dubs from the start, so they needed lots of wheel well room.

It sounds like this is your first model, or at least your first attempt at advanced painting and body modifications, so ask lots of questions and take a look at the On The Workbench sections here on the forum. You can pick up and learn a lot of things just by seeing what other member are doing, and most will be more than happy to help answer your questions and offer advice. Ask any teacher and they'll tell you the best students are those who ask questions and are interested in learning, and the same applies here, though one might argue we're all still teaching and still learning ourselves.

ISAT is a term i use after seeing all this totaly totaly unreal builds ,, ISAT.. :huh: i stink at this

HaHa... Patience young grasshopper. Even the best builders still have room for improvement. I can compare my first model with my 4 model and can see a huge difference. Just take your time and have fun.

More Terms:

CA Glue- Cyanoacrylate- Fast acting adhesives. i.e. Super Glue