Model Cars Magazine Forum

LUFTWAFFE 49 MERC (Junkers Stuka Inspired)

Dr. Cranky

I've always love those big WWII airplanes, and probably my favorite of all time was the bomber Junker Stuka. I had built a couple of planes in my time, but wanted to do a car this time, so one thing led to another and we immediately succumbed to the charm of the 49 Merc, another Salt Flats vehicle, this one with a bit of attitude.

I started to rob some parts I liked from a Hasegawa 1/32nd scale Stuka, and I transfered them to the right places on the Merc:

IMG_0166-vi.jpg

Scratch-built some rear wing spoiler thingies . . . why not?

IMG_0168-vi.jpg

Added the landing wheel covers from the Stuka and used them as skirts.

IMG_0169-vi.jpg

Here is the result of a couple of days of having fun with enamels:

IMG_0166-vi.jpg

IMG_0167-vi.jpg

One buddy on YOUTUBE mentioned adding a siren to the roof, so I scratch-built one just for fun . . .

IMG_0168-vi.jpg

There's something beautiful about military colors, in particular with German and American planes.

HMMMMMM the Donn Yost method ???? I have been doing that for years. Glad to know i wasn't the only crazy one out there. But Dr. you are really making this Merc SWEEET!! really dig the skirts and i can imagine that siren at the 4 mile mark out on the salt screaming away like those old wwII movies . Very cool can't wait to see it done Michael

HMMMMMM the Donn Yost method ???? I have been doing that for years. Glad to know i wasn't the only crazy one out there. But Dr. you are really making this Merc SWEEET!! really dig the skirts and i can imagine that siren at the 4 mile mark out on the salt screaming away like those old wwII movies . Very cool can't wait to see it done Michael

Thanks, Michael. I think Donn would be the first to say that the mixing of cheap lacquer and enamels is an old trick the real car painters have been using, but I call it the Donn Yost method because Donn was able to put it all together in a DVD on how to paint shiny car models, show quality models, using enamels.

Donn's method, as he explains it in his DVD, is not just using cheap lacquer thinner. There are other important aspects to it like the way he actually applies the paint without stopping.

you are insane ... you need to be locked up in a asylum so you can build 24/7 and give us way more of this crazy awsomeness :P

now in a more serious manour > just loving this it looks stunning and even though the theme would apeir funny you manage to aply these things in a way it just looks serious

:wub::wub: big fan here B):lol: