1st post, Paul Blevins Corvette

18 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hello all,

First off, I'm hoping the obscurity/ rarity of this model offsets the lack of details. I am pretty outclassed here, and I hope that that will motivate me to build better to at least get close to par with some of the outstanding work on here!

*Long story warning*

Paul Blevins and John Scotto campained the Nomad, which most of you are familer with. They built this Corvette I Believe in 1971, to run in Modified Production/D Gas because of the rules. The rules allowed no engine setback or fibreglass parts (unless factory), and the addition of a solid axle to a car that came from the factory without. So with a fibreglass body, and 12 inches of engine setback a Corvette was a great choice.

And when retrofitting the solid axle (an Oldsmobile front loader), they came up with a prototype rear suspension, the 4 Link.

At this point most people were running leafs with ladder bars, or some sort of coil spring/ladder bar setup. Once dialed in this car won lots, including the 1972 US Nationals, as well as the World Finals that year. As i understand it, it was the first 4 link car to win an NHRA event. At the time it held the record at a 10.17 with a 327.

I think part of the reason this car doesnt have the notirioty of the Nomad, is because after being run for less than 2 years it was sold to Dick Moroso (Yes the Moroso performance parts guy) so Paul could go Pro Stock Racing.

Part 2

Either just before or just after the car was sold to Dick, it was tubbed to run a 12 inch slick with a Dana 60. Once Dick was done with it, the car ended up north of the border in the Toronto area, my details are somewhat foggy here. The car was modified pretty heavily to run in Mini Pro with drag spindles and brakes, rack and pinion, more engine setback, 14 inch tire, full tin kit etc. a couple of owners later around 1988 it ended up at my Dads shop to have a big block chev put in it.

The car really went too fast with the big block, it ran in the 8.50s with a single carb 468. A testament to the original engineering of the 4 link, with chevelle coils!

Theres only 3 tracks around our way, and after being kicked out of all 3 for running too fast with no chute, cage certification etc, the car went into mothballs til around 2000.

It was delivered to my dads again, to put it on the street. One of our friends saw the car, heard the story about Blevins and bought it on the spot.

It has now undergone a complete restoration, and been put back to 1971 spec. Before Paul Blevins died, the current owner contacted him, and while somewhat unwilling, Paul ID'd the car as his. One of the keys was the reshaped wheel lips in the rear. They were built with torch hoses!

Real Photos

scan0001-1_zps032e851c.jpg

moroso_dad_65link_zpsb2e927d0.jpg

vetteandthames_zps3e81bbd4.jpg

Anyways, heres my take on The Scotto Blevins GM/P D/G Corvette. Built from a Revell kit, with Ebay decals for the Nomad, Cragars from a Chevelle kit, scratched side windows, rear suspension, wheelie bars and the worst looking hood scoop of the 70's.

I am not really happy with the paint, decals should have been coated a few times before i laid them, and it has those terrible plastic rear tires.

Once i find a real set of correct decals for it, i will probably redo it, but for now it looks good on the shelf.

IMG_6455_zps3a7ca329.jpg

IMG_6457_zps23e8eb97.jpg

IMG_6459_zps87290da4.jpg

IMG_6458_zps39470ab9.jpg

IMG_6461_zps77b22b01.jpg

Posted · Report post

Never saw this car before. Very well done and welcome.

Bob

Posted · Report post

Welcome to MCM Rob!

That's a MEAN lookin' Vette, the C2s look sooooo good B)

Posted · Report post

NIce looking build and welcome to MCM.

Posted · Report post

Looks very nice, good job !

Posted · Report post

Very nice job on your replica and I'm glad to see someone building cars from one of the best classes that ever existed. Its too bad that these cars aren't around today so that the fans can witness the high revving engines and crazy wheelstands that these cars produced. I saw many of these cars in person but my fav was and still is Cotton Perry's Pocket Rocket Chevy II which could be found almost any Saturday night at the Brainerd Optimist Dragstrip near Chattanooga TN racing against other class cars of the day. Great job again and thanks for jogging my memory!

Posted · Report post

I like it , well done

I want to do this car but ths hood scoop has me scared off. I already have the Nomad planned for here soon and would like to do the Vette as well

Posted · Report post

Beautiful build of a classic straightliner ............. great work B)B) B) B)B)

Posted · Report post

I like it , well done

I want to do this car but ths hood scoop has me scared off. I already have the Nomad planned for here soon and would like to do the Vette as well

Dont let it scare you off! Im not very good at scratch buidling, and I managed it!

Its just 3 sides of .030 evergreen and a piece of a pop can for the front. I used a machinists rule and measured off the front wheel opening and headlight doors on the photos, then the model to get a conversion. I used the 1972 US nationals photo (The real car has the same scoop on it currently), but it had about a dozen different scoops on it by the difference in all the photos.

SO make something that looks good to you!

Posted · Report post

Really well done !!! Great subject, I believe the car ran Modified Production as well. Joe Scotto has a shop about two miles up the road from me.

Pete L.

Posted · Report post

Welcome to MCM Forums! And very nice Corvette you got there. The paint job is looking great, and I really don't see problems with the decals, either. I like it.

Posted · Report post

Rob, that actually looks pretty decent , and about those rear tires, those are actually some of the best looking Good Year 9x30's, they are one of my favorites, I will take any that nobody wants !! lol ...........

Posted · Report post

Great build.

Posted · Report post

Welcome to MCM Forums! And very nice Corvette you got there. The paint job is looking great, and I really don't see problems with the decals, either. I like it.

Theres no real problem with the decals per se, its just they are for the Nomad!

And i held off buying a set from lucas, but i had heard some not so great things, and now i see theres a fella on here that has bought him out and will be reproducing (hopefully) the correct ones.

So i can fix the marginal paint and get some right decals, so im pretty happy!

Posted · Report post

This is a very nice build you have done here. It looks great.

Posted · Report post

VERY, VERY nice build!!

Posted · Report post

Nice build on this , looks great.

Posted · Report post

Very nice build