Model Cars Magazine Forum

AFX mustangs question

gtx6970

Can anyone confirm the ft suspension used in the 1966 Long nose AFX mustangs .

I've looked at pictures all morning and the best I can come up with is they used a stock lower control arm / steering setup. On what 'appears to be' a tube frame design .

BUT, is it the standard mustang ' short upper / long lower' control arm set up with the strut rod design.

I have a long sitting project thats calling out to me to finally get finished, and soon.

Some used a twisted mono leaf like a torsion bar, After looking over my pics, depending on the car you are replicating, they used the set up pictured here as well as solid axles with hair pins, solid axles with parallel leafs as well ......

post-1213-0-17503100-1363632622_thumb.jp

Edited by Alan

Thanks , the car I have in process is the Gas Ronda long nose / wheelbase car.

I've looked at the pictures I have of the car and it has what appears to be something resembling close to stock as far as the upper shock mount,,,,, just moved forward. But I can't tell anything beyond that

Edited by gtx6970

Interesting setup. Best I can tell is they did away the upper spring, but kept the A arm / upper shock mounted position . Using the leaf spring as a torsion bar mounted in a fashion similar to a stock mustang strut rod arrangment.

Cool, this shouldn't be hard to replicate

the photos of the frt suspension that alan posted is what all the 1965 a/fx mustangs had when they left hollman & moody.the 1966 long nose mustangs that were built by hollman & moody had the same frt suspension with one exception,that was the mustang built for tommy grove.he wanted a tube type staight axle with coilover shocks which he appears to have changed to an i-beam frt axle later in the year.he also had them install a coil spring rear suspension instead of leaf springs like the other long nose mustangs.