Model Cars Magazine Forum

Suggestions please- Painting door panel trim

Looking at all of the models on the website it seems that you all really know what you are doing when it comes to the above topic. I have tried masking around the trim and painting it but it nevers leaves a clean line. I have used a fine point Sharpie that looks alright but the color isn't to my liking. Anyone else out there have any other suggestions? It's frustrating to lay down a decent paint job and then jack it all up when you can't leave a good line.

Also having the same issue painting the inside edges of the windshields when the handy stickers aren't provided like some of the Tamiya kits.

Thanks in advance. :)

Some may think this is a waste, but I use Bare Metal Foil for masking those areas as you've described. The reason being, BMF leaves a very clean sharp division, especially when burnished thoroughly. I don't do many modern cars, but here are a few examples where I have used BMF to mask off areas that require black trim. BTW, the paint I use is Polly Scale's Engine Black. It has just the right sheen IMO for window trim, and leaves no brush marks.

Pa231903-vi.jpg

PA231901-vi.jpg

P1281022-vi.jpg

I had a couple other pics I wanted to show, but it seems as though they've taken a permanent leave of absence via Fotki. :angry:

Anyway, I hope this helps!

Edited by MrObsessive

Just to be clear, are we talking about painting stainless steel trim or black trim. I guess the answer to both would be Bare Metal Foil. Burnish it down and trim the excess off for silver accents. Or as a paint mask as mentioned above.

Or mask with BMF and paint with Alclad II for chrome or metal trim.

I second the use of BMF for masking. You can cut it so easily on the model that you don't cut into the paint - unlike masking tape, which requires a heavier hand.

I have the same issues and have wrecked 2 paint jobs so far.

When i do make a mistake and get Flat Black Tamiya paint all over my nice new paint job. What is the best way to clean it up and salvage the situation?

Cheers

Lots of different ways. Usually I use a little rubbing compound and a soft flannel rag to tighten up the edge. The bleed under usually isn't that thick. Maybe use a polishing kitt to knock down the edge... depending on paint types say acrylic was used for the trim on an enamel paint job use a cotton swap with a little thinner to clean it up. Lots of different ways to skin this cat.

I had trouble with this I hated tapeing and it bled underneath. The thing that has made my builds look 100 times better liquid mask brush or spray it on then just take a blade and clean up the edge works everytime for me . Oh when your done just rinse masking off with water

I had trouble with this I hated tapeing and it bled underneath. The thing that has made my builds look 100 times better liquid mask brush or spray it on then just take a blade and clean up the edge works everytime for me . Oh when your done just rinse masking off with water

Thanks for all the tips. How do you make crisp sharp lines with the liquid mask?

BTW: I'm using Tamiya Spray paint with Dupli-color clear and Tamiya black paint for the trim brushed on.

Cheers