Model Cars Magazine Forum

I KNOW STYRENE IS CHEAP BUT

• 8 months later...

Oh, mix it in some liquid glue(cut it up first) and let it set. it'll become liquid again, really thick and rnny, and you can actually use it as filler! i've done it quite a few times and it works great!

That is my body trick also.....Great filler when chopping or sectioning, gives the area more strength, although it sure is ugly when putting it on ! :P;)

What kinda glue do you guys use? White glue?

methyl ethyl ketone. you can buy it by the quart at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. be very careful with it. for that matter, be very careful of the liquid plastic the sprues make when melted. the fumes are very bad. i keep a small bottle of MEK on the bench and refill it as necessary from the quart can.

i once sent a box full of sprues back to AMT... it must have weighed three pounds.

no, they didn't send me a kit in return. that was back in 1975 or so.

I use sprue to mount parts after I've sanded them so that I can primer and paint them. But, that's it. When the day comes that I'm too cheap to buy styrene rod, I'll quit building.

I miss Crazygirl

Me too. It's like she just dropped of the face of the earth.

There's a reason. It turned out that she was a he. :lol: Lesson learned: never take a photo of a model or part in front of a mirror. Especially when you're pretending to be a woman that's building a model for the first time. :rolleyes:

so where does one buy styrene sheets/rods? Are there any at craft stores? Like michaels? Or buy online? and if online anyone have a website for canada?

http://evergreenscalemodels.com/Sheets.htm

http://plastruct.com

You can get some supplies at the Hobby Store around you. Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

Edited by 1930fordpickup

• 4 years later...

More Uses For Plastic Sprue

Recently I used some particularly chunky straight thick round rod section sprue * to plug the awful screw head openings on the chassis underside of the AMT 66 Mercury Park Lane kit.

The sprue was just the right fit, and cuts easily.

I know the Mercury is an older kit, but I think every little helps.

(* from the Revell '62 or '63 Impala)

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, styromaniac said:

Its funny what some novices or people totally unfamiliar with the hobby call the sprues that all the plastic parts are attached to....on EBay I've seen used kit sellers call them "frames", "skeletons".

Before I saw them referred to as 'sprues', I called them 'retainers' back in the day.. 

Edited by Rob Hall

• 3 weeks later...