Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford GT40 engine kit

:unsure: Anyone know of an engine kit, resin or otherwise that is made for a Ford GT 40 kit? I saw one on e-bay but can't find it now. It seem almost all of the kits like the 1/24th Fujimi and Revell are minus any engine/engine compartment detail.

Edited by mmdm4

The engine itself will usually either be a 289/ 302 / 5.0L-looking smallblock (so a lot of kits are potential donors), or the big-block pushrod FE (in which case the Revell parts pack Ford 427 works). The gearbox is a little tricky, as the cars were built with Colotti, ZF and Hewland transaxles. If you want to be accurate, it helps to know which particular car you're building. Cobra kits are also good engine sources.

The AMT MkII ( kit # T 232-200) comes with a 255 / 289 bottom end (with gearbox) that can be built as an OHC or a pushrod, complete with the bundle-of-snakes exhaust, AND a pushrod big-block 427 (with gearbox)

MPC MkIV (kit #1-0561) has a big-block pushrod engine and transaxle.

Revell / Monogram (originally Aurora, I think) Ford GT (kit #0565) also has engine, exhaust, gearbox and suspension, though the proportions are not the best.

Though the virgin kits can be pricey sometimes, you can often find gluebombs with everything you need.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Also Historic Racing Miniatures does one in resin if they are still around (evidently way behind on orders according to one site I just looked at). I got one many years ago at a show and it is a very nice 427 big block Ford and if memory servers me it is designed to fit the Fujimi kit. The transkit I have includes the suspension as well.

Robyn

Edited by Robyn

Yes HRM is still in business. Harold has in his catalog the small block 289 engine kit that is correct for Fujimi's GT40. He is working on a 427 engine kit (along with many other projects) that will be correct for Fujimi's GT40 Mark II kit. The 427 is not yet available.

I contacted Red Frog hobbies and they checked and have several on the shelf so I ordered it through them. Thanks for giving me the name of the manufacturer so I could look for it. Hopefully it won't be an 18 month wait for this kit!

I have one of the Historic Racing Minature GT-40 engine/suspension kits, very nice. The castings are fantastic. The engine is a small block Ford with Gurney-Westlake heads, which is what was raced in 1968 and 69, after the GT-40 MKII big blocks were legislated out.

I like the MKI GT-40 best and the kit is better than the MKII kit also. The rear compartment cover is a separate piece, no cutting required.

Just wanted to let everyone know after asking on this forum where to get a resin engine kit for the GT-40 I was told Historic Racing Miniatures made one, but the post also said they had waited 18 months for their order. I contacted Red Frog Hobbies and they said they had several on the shelf and I had mine in under 1 week. Looks real nice and I consider that great service. Thanks again, Red Frog and the fellow modelers who pointed me in the right direction.