Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 Purchases Lindberg/Hawk

I hope they rerelease the kits like the S10 and Nissan Hardbody along with much of the other content they have now aquired from Lindberg. Those two kits alone are WAY over priced on EVILBAY from what I've seen them go for.

Edited by Skydime

I hope they rerelease the kits like the S10 and Nissan Hardbody along with much of the other content they have now aquired from Lindberg. Those two kits alone are WAY over priced on EVILBAY from what I've seen them go for.

I think there is 99% thats not going to happen, I think the 1/20th scale is the biggest reason , second, there is no demand for 1/20th, well if there is, its very small

I think there is 99% thats not going to happen, I think the 1/20th scale is the biggest reason , second, there is no demand for 1/20th, well if there is, its very small

Back when Lindberg was doing the 1/20 scale kits, they sent model shows cases of them to use as door prizes. We couldn't even give them away. They were always the last kits chosen as prizes.

For 1:20th I like F1 kits in that scale, but really haven't gotten into street cars in that scale, though i do have a couple '70s MPC Corvettes and the Lindberg Grand Cherokee, Explorer, and S10. It would be interesting to see a list of what Lindberg made in that scale, I remember seeing them on the shelves back in the day...that they were molded in color was a bigger turn off to me than the scale.

Edited by Rob Hall

I'm thrilled that Round 2 has bought Lindberg, I'd love to see the kits from the last 20 years or so come back!

As for the 1/20 kits, Those actually scale out nicely to Losi's Micro Rock Crawler and Trail Trekker R/C's and RC4WD's Micro Scale Axles and Tires. So long as those are available, there will likely be some interest in them from that portion of the R/C Crawling hobby.

Back when Lindberg was doing the 1/20 scale kits, they sent model shows cases of them to use as door prizes. We couldn't even give them away. They were always the last kits chosen as prizes.

Now thats funny, that should tell what the car builders feel about 1/20th scale

I just don't get the whole hated scale thing. Even the 25th and 24th scale camps are really divided. I myself don't care which or what scale a model is if it's done well and a subject I like.

I build both 24/25 scale, and dont care, my only issue with 1/20th scale is using 24/25 scale parts for the parts box dont really work that well on 1/20th scale lol, I did build the Nissan Hard Body kit, and it was a really nice kit, to bad I was kid and didnt know how to build models back then lol

For 1:20th I like F1 kits in that scale, but really haven't gotten into street cars in that scale, though i do have a couple '70s MPC Corvettes and the Lindberg Grand Cherokee, Explorer, and S10. It would be interesting to see a list of what Lindberg made in that scale, I remember seeing them on the shelves back in the day...that they were molded in color was a bigger turn off to me than the scale.

Whats your reason for liking F1 in 1/20th scale ?

I'm thrilled that Round 2 has bought Lindberg, I'd love to see the kits from the last 20 years or so come back!

As for the 1/20 kits, Those actually scale out nicely to Losi's Micro Rock Crawler and Trail Trekker R/C's and RC4WD's Micro Scale Axles and Tires. So long as those are available, there will likely be some interest in them from that portion of the R/C Crawling hobby.

And that would be that 1% out there that would buy them , but thats not apart of the the target buyers though, but still a good point

Whats your reason for liking F1 in 1/20th scale ?

Because 1/20th is the standard scale/most common for the subject....there are a few 1/24th F1 kits, but very few... for street cars, i generally stick w/ 1:24th and 1:25th but am open to other scales occasionally, esp. for subjects I like...I'd like to have more space for 1/12th and other large scale kits...

Edited by Rob Hall

Funny you mention the door prizes.... I recall at a few local shows back in the 90s we ended up with many lindberg kits.

I got the 93ish? 1/20th Firebird as a door prize back in the day. I built it but I was still learning to airbrush so I screwed up the paint job several times and never ended up finishing it, but that was a very nice kit. Just had the very ugly stock rims, so the only problem with 1/20th scale is that there are not a lot of choices for kit bashing. I did find the slightly large scale easier to work with as the parts were just a little bigger, thus big enough to be able to handle without tweezers, etc. I think the Nissan pickup we got as a door prize on the same day is still down in the kit dungeon at my Parent's house. Come to think of it, that day My Dad and I bought $20 of raffle tickets between us and we ended up with a bunch of Lindberg planes also.

I have a few of the MPC 1/20 scale Ford Econoline van, and the Sirens,

and Rotator light in the Ambulnce fit 1/24-1/25 scale fine. They did almost

look small on the Econoline though

That is one I would want if they re-issued it and back-dated it to one of the 70's annual versions

(Or even the Ironsides)

While the 1/20 Lindberg GMC Syclone/Sonoma/S-10, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Pontiac Firebird, Chevy Camaro, and Corvette ZR-1 kits are "sellable" subjects, all had been released as 1/25 scale kits by Revell, Monogram, AMT and Tamiya, so Lindberg was way late to the party and got the wrong kind of attention with the odd scale.

Given the choice of a 1/25 or 1/20 scale of the same subject and quality, 1/25 will win 98% of the time. I've only had the 1/20 S-10 (the original issue from '91, so that may've tied or beaten the Revell Syclone kit to market) and the GMC Sonoma High Rider in my hands, and while both looked pretty good (though not quite on the same level as Revell's Syclone), the super-high polished red plastic of the Sonoma wasn't appealing to me at all. I recall the Totoya and Nissan Hardbody pickups were molded in purple, yellow, seafoam green, and pink, too, so maybe they were aimed at builders who didn't want to have to paint the bodies? I dunno, but the "feel" you get from a kit when you open the box leaves an impression, and I haven't considered purchasing another Lindberg 1/20 scale kit since. Even if they were 1/25 scale, I probably wouldn't buy them.

I dunno. I just wish there was a bigger selection of modern trucks....and these "Uptown" wheels are starting to add up from kits I've built without them.

Because 1/20th is the standard scale/most common for the subject....there are a few 1/24th F1 kits, but very few... for street cars, i generally stick w/ 1:24th and 1:25th but am open to other scales occasionally, esp. for subjects I like...I'd like to have more space for 1/12th and other large scale kits...

Did not know that, thanks ;)

I dunno. I just wish there was a bigger selection of modern trucks....and these "Uptown" wheels are starting to add up from kits I've built without them.

I agree, it would be nice to have the more P/U trucks , I would love to see that Nissan Hardbody and Toyota P/U kit done in 1/25th or 1/24th scale

I remember I getting the Camaro CHP kit and I think the S10 too

Other than the Voomer Vega and the like, the Lindberg kits I've built over the years haven't been any more or less accurate or difficult to assemble than any other. No model is 100% accurate, and every model will need some cleanup, that's part of the fun!

Yep, he's right, on all counts.

While the 1/20 Lindberg GMC Syclone/Sonoma/S-10, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Pontiac Firebird, Chevy Camaro, and Corvette ZR-1 kits are "sellable" subjects, all had been released as 1/25 scale kits by Revell, Monogram, AMT and Tamiya, so Lindberg was way late to the party and got the wrong kind of attention with the odd scale.

Given the choice of a 1/25 or 1/20 scale of the same subject and quality, 1/25 will win 98% of the time. I've only had the 1/20 S-10 (the original issue from '91, so that may've tied or beaten the Revell Syclone kit to market) and the GMC Sonoma High Rider in my hands, and while both looked pretty good (though not quite on the same level as Revell's Syclone), the super-high polished red plastic of the Sonoma wasn't appealing to me at all. I recall the Totoya and Nissan Hardbody pickups were molded in purple, yellow, seafoam green, and pink, too, so maybe they were aimed at builders who didn't want to have to paint the bodies? I dunno, but the "feel" you get from a kit when you open the box leaves an impression, and I haven't considered purchasing another Lindberg 1/20 scale kit since. Even if they were 1/25 scale, I probably wouldn't buy them.

The Toyota Tacomas were molded in a variety of "unique" shades, but the Nissan was molded in black. Considering the prices they are fetching on eBay you'd think these were the most popular kits EVER and there aren't piles of them lying around unbuilt. That being said the 1/20 tools while somewhat replicating the annuals that AMT and Revellogram were putting out were of different versions of the vehicles. There was a Firebird Firehawk, Camaro SS Convertible, Camaro F-1, the 4x4 Sonoma, Sonoma Sportside, S-10 SS, 4dr Blazer & Jimmy, an Explorer Sport, and the Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4. One Run of Fun them all, then pack the tools into a corner of the basement just to get these delusional people who think a Baywatch Toyota is worth $120 a dose of reality.

I guess one thing I did find interesting about their 1/20th subjects is they did do a few subjects no one else did--the Explorer Sport, for instance...it was the only pre-facelift Explorer 2dr kitted (the AMT kit was the post-facelift 4dr Limited). (Back in the day before I got into Jeeps I was into Ford SUVs in 1:1).

Edited by Rob Hall

"F- 1 in 1/20th scale ?"

"Whats your reason for liking F1 in 1/20th scale ?"

That's become the standard scale for F1 kits. Blame Tamiya, they picked it. Almost all of the resin, almost all of the aftermarket, is 1/20 scale.

I built a lot of 20th scale Tamiya F1 kits growing up (those and Tamiya 1/12 scale GP bikes were the first automotive models I built) and believe it or not, it was my interest in F1 that led me into regular passenger car modeling through the Lindberg 20th scale kits, which I loved when they came out because they matched my F1 cars. I built a bunch of those Lindberg 20th scale kits, I loved them.

But that said, now, as a businessman who has to sell these things, I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy, they're tough sells and pretty much guaranteed dust collectors on a hobby shop shelf.

George Toteff was a genius and pretty much the man who's single-handedly responsible for the creation of the model car kit as we know it today, but his attempts at establishing 1/20 as a mainstream model scale were pretty much rejected every time he tried (and he tried several times).

Guest Johnny

Dang people! How about everyone stepping back and taking a deep breath, stop Monday morning quarterbacking and wait and see what happens instead of overthinking and speculating on what you believe will or won't happen.

Sheeeeesh! :wacko::lol:

Yep, he did, back to the AMX , Sting Ray and Econoline kits of the late '60s. That van kit was cool; it came with a lot of features to build it as a sort of pit van. If I remember correctly, it had a type of crane or hoist that slid out of the van, tools, cabinets... My parents got it for me while I was recovering from a surgery and I felt bad because I couldn't get all enthused about a kit that just didn't fit in with the rest of my stuff. I still shy away from odd scale stuff unless it's something t hat really floats my boat. We live, we learn.