Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 scale 1966 VW Beetle

Geeti

Hi all,

This is my first post here on the scale model forums. I’ve been getting back into the model building hobby after a few years absence (~30 year hiatus ) Since the last bug model I build back in the mid- 80s, I decided to give the Tamiya '66 Beetle a try (lowered, just because )

It’s not perfect, but it was a fun little project.

Here are some pictures.

null_zps2053f236.jpg

Me & paint still don't get along too well! :P It’s rustolem Garnet Red (the can I had was having spray problems ! !! ). I coated that with some Pledge Floor Wax w/ Future shine over it.

null_zps5dfa8a67.jpg

null_zps2789b707.jpg

null_zps01c42946.jpg

Tamiya’s licence plates appear too big, so I filed 'em down :P

null_zps8426dc3c.jpg

[ Side notes: other things that I couldn't 'fix' from the Tamiya kit: this kit appears to be an adaptation of a Right Hand Drive Beetle, the wipers are 'parked' on the wrong side of the car (internet pix of real LHD cars don't lie ;) ) & the mirrors are on the wrong side (the round mirror represents a LHD drivers side mirror!)....this bugged me a bit, so I just used the pear shaped one as a drivers side & chopped the passenger side mirror off...'cuz I couldn't correct it.! ]

null_zps5fa16219.jpg

Interior coloring is incorrect (should be a black steering wheel, etc.), but I was playing with mixing acrylic paints to come up with these colors.

null_zps0488e3ff.jpg

Since the paint on the roof didn't come out as nice as I would have hoped, I decided to make a roof rack to 'cover it up'. ;). I tried to copy the rack on my real bug. I drew it up in CAD and printed the 'plans' out at 1/24 scale.

null_zpsbc7b82ea.jpg

null_zps9a618c6c.jpg

null_zps90e4d645.jpg

Test fitting...

null_zps7846f04b.jpg

Getting there...

null_zps722e67f0.jpg

null_zps34b167a8.jpg

null_zpsaa231b21.jpg

I couldn't figure out a way to make the rail clamp until I saw noticed the profile of a 'to-go' plastic container from the recycling bin. Not exact, but close enough, so I glued it in place :laugh:

null_zps7868ce89.jpg

too many brush strokes, but whatever...

null_zps99ab5fc5.jpg

oil leaks, of course :laugh:

DSC_0260_zps42886dff.jpg

There was a place for them molded onto the body, so I made some bumper overrider braces out of the .03" rod.

null_zpsa4e86539.jpg

My bug model I built in 1984 is on the left, 2013 on the right (similar???!!!! HA!)

null_zps82797082.jpg

null_zpsb27b57cc.jpg

DSC_0232_zps75b0b1b6.jpg

I entered it in a model show, just for the heck of it. Didn't place, but had fun :)

DSC_0311_zpsaba98413.jpg

I ‘sanded down’ some tires for the front (aka, I chucked them onto my dremel and spun them on some sandpaper to reduce the diameter for the big/little tire look.

I may rebuild some things on this kit, like cut the front side windows out of it & maybe try and do the white rim barrel on the wheels to add a bit of contrast in the wheel area (BRMs would be nice, but I don’t have any in my limited stash :( ).

Thanks for looking, lemme know what you think :D

Very nice, Chris. I came back 5 years after a 30 odd year hiatus also. I like the color mix on the steering wheel .. looks just right. I always have problens finding all the cream colors on cars.

The roof rack looks exactly like the one on the '69 I had .. nice work!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...