Model Cars Magazine Forum

' 67 Galaxie 500 XL convertible

smellyfatdude

I could look at this all day. I always thought the '67 Galaxie was one of Ford's best looking designs, and when it's done up in red & black like this, it makes you wish Round2 would create some new tooling so the rest of us can build one too.

What paint and techniques did you use to get that glass-smooth finish?

The paint job was just sheer luck, if you ask me since it was all done outside. When I primered the thing, the breeze picked up and it was flying all over the back yard, everywhere except on to my model. :lol: I kept the side trim masked off after the first couple light coats of primer, all the way through to the clear coat. The body got the usual micromesh wet polish, followed by some Micro-gloss. The shine came out pretty good, but then when I had the body upside down putting in the interior tub, I managed to drop not one, but two big blobs of Testors cement on to the back driver's side quarter panel. A quick clean up, and some more micromesh polishing got rid of it. ;)

clear002m-1024x768.jpg

• 1 year later...

I've got to build mine...bought my '67 convertible mint and sealed, but the windshield frame is mashed a bit. I've got all the AMT full size Ford annuals from '59-70 w/ multiples of some years along w/ some reissues in my stash.

Edited by Rob Hall

Well, kind of surprised to see this pop up after so long, but thank you everyone for your comments.

and hey...are kits not made to build it?

They sure are. It's not every day you have a chance to go from this

new001-1024x768.jpg

to this nowadays, considering what one of these kits goes for.

finish020m.jpg

Being able to afford a sealed one, and also being able to recreate an actual car in the process, well let's just say it was worth every penny to me! ;)

Wow smelly, great work with this one, ican see you right now as you're holding the body upside down trying to glue the interior and then,,,,,,,,,,,,THE GLUE :angry::angry::angry: and you saying ahh sh-- ahh f--- ahh keep calm ,,,,grab a ,,,,, something to wipe the d--n glue up,,,,,,,,,,,, ahhhhhhhhhhh :unsure: I think itll be okay,,,,,,,,,, whewwwwwwwwwwwww yeah that will polish right out. did anybody see that????????????? great job! Shauns