Model Cars Magazine Forum

' 67 Galaxie 500 XL convertible

smellyfatdude

I wanted one of these for a long time, and also knew I wanted to try and create a replica of a 1:1 car that used to reside here in the city. Except for the fact that the real thing ahd a 390 and not a 427, I did this one up the same. The kit was still sealed when I got it. The engine came from the Revell Thunderbolt, and the firewall was painted red to show off the detail better. Other than some minor interior trim embellishments, it's box stock.

new005m_zpsb060fa9e.jpg

engine009m.jpg

finish019cr.jpg

finish021m_zps0033cf9d.jpg

finish013m-1_zpsf98f797a.jpg

finish005m_zps8dfa28ff.jpg

test021m.jpg

Great car Darcy. The first car my wife and I got when we were married was a used '67 Galaxie 4 door that we bought from my Aunt for $300 in 1975. I converted the convertible kit to a 4 door hardtop with the help of a good friend who is no longer with us unfortunately. I'm posting a picture of it here, with NO intentions of stealing your thread.

1967FORDGALAXIETHREEQUARTERFRONT.jpg

I wish I could find another one of these kits.

Thanks everyone, glad you like my Galaxie. :)

Yes, the bumpers were done with Alclad. The chrome on the front bumper had worn off in a couple of spots,

and the back bumper had swirl marks under the chrome. So I stripped both of them, then shot them with several coats of Duplicolor black primer.

Over top that went a couple of mist coats, then a good wet coat of Tamiya TS-13 clear. After twenty or so minutes drying time, I laid on four mist coats, and two wetter coats of Alclad.

bumper005m-1024x768.jpg

Very nice! Would love to get this kit, as my Dad had a 67 convertible back then in Highland Green that I've wanted to build in scale. The convertible and the fastback are my holy grail kits...I want to build the Wendell Scott race car from the fastback. Maybe Round2 will see fit to release both? Pretty please?

If I understood it right, AMT altered the mold for the hardtop to do the ' 68 Galaxie fastback, back in the day. Whether or not the convertible molds survived, I guess only Round 2 knows. Even if all they have left is the mold for the ' 68 . . . . . ummm, yes please! :D