Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Completed: BMW "final" M Coupe

10 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

This model depicts the last of the first-generation M Coupes made at BMW USA’s Spartanburg, SC plant. BMW has started production of a sexy new M Coupe based on the Z4. The final three cars off the Z3 production line prior to changeover to the Z4 were a red M Roadster, white M Coupe, and blue Z3. When I saw this M Coupe at the factory museum called “The Zentrum†I realized this was how I wanted to build my 2002 M Coupe kit.

The kit was made by Dragon (an update of their M Roadster) and was sold by Revell in Europe; it's always been scarce/hard to find in the US-I got this from a friend in Europe, though they do show up occasionally on Ebay. It’s not a particularly good kit as it’s got a number of sketchy details and engineered glitches but it’s sufficient for a basic curbside. I disassembled the prepainted body and painted it Tamiya Pure White, and designed and laser printed the trademark BMW flag decals for the car. I also lowered the ride height a bit and made a sunroof by simply painting that area of the roof with Tamiya gloss black. I scratchbuilt the rear license plate holder, the plate reads “Proud To Call South Carolina Homeâ€.

Finished1-vi.jpg

Finished2-vi.jpg

Finished3-vi.jpg

Finished4-vi.jpg

Finished5-vi.jpg

Finished6-vi.jpg

The basic body and printed decals:

Decals-vi.jpg

The 1:1 on display at the BMW Zentrum:

DSCN4418-vi.jpg

DSCN4417vi-vi.jpg

Posted · Report post

Thats cool , great likeness , decals almost look like their from Asian Tuner decals...

Posted · Report post

Thats cool , great likeness , decals almost look like their from Asian Tuner decals...

Thanks! The trademark flag-style decals used by BMW on some of their race cars were "borrowed" by the tuner crowd long after BMW had been using them :roll: :lol:

Posted · Report post

Looks real nice! Tell us about your treatment of the rims, they have a very realistic appearance...

Posted · Report post

Looks real nice! Tell us about your treatment of the rims, they have a very realistic appearance...

Thanks! I'd love to tell you what secret I had making them look so good, but I hang my head in shame... :lol:

They were prepainted and looked too good to bother to refinish. The centercaps are the stickers from the kit (no decals, just stickers... :roll: ) carefully trimmed out so they look like decals.

The entire kit was prefinished like an AMT Pro Finish kit, I stripped the factory paint from the body w/91% rubbing alcohol and painted over the interior two-tone blue/black to this car's black and white theme using Tamiya flat black and white primer. The instrument sticker is quite accurate, and the center stack sticker is also very accurate, I had to carefully remove it before repainting the stack itself. With the thick glass in place you really miss a lot of the interior detail.

The blue plastic did bleed through the white primer a bit, so I applied a mid-coat of Zinsser B-I-N primer/sealer under the next primer and finish coats. When it's dry it sands as nicely as any primer.

Posted · Report post

Another fantastic build, Bob! You always seem to bring these subjects to life.

Posted · Report post

Very nice Bob!

Excellent job on what I consider an underappreciated car! I've not seen too many here in the states, and I hear that those M coupes are little screamers!!

I simply love the new version that just came out.............and I sure wish I could afford one but alas................:)

Posted · Report post

Very nice Bob!

Excellent job on what I consider an underappreciated car! I've not seen too many here in the states, and I hear that those M coupes are little screamers!!

I simply love the new version that just came out.............and I sure wish I could afford one but alas................:)

Thanks Bill! It certainly was an "oddball" in terms of design, but it's a blast to drive. I got a chance to put a few miles on one for a charity event. The M Roadster is even more fun if you like the wind in your hair :lol: They always have been a relatively rare sight; especially the Z3 coupes (the lower HP/non "M" versions).

The new M Coupe is drop-dead gorgeous IMHO. Finally a new BMW that looks "right" with none of the electronic gizmos like the SMG transmission or I-Drive that are ruining other BMW's even if you can stomach the odd styling details.

Posted · Report post

Beautiful job Bob.

Posted · Report post

very nice build, Bob - looks great!