Model Cars Magazine Forum

Completed: BMW "final" M Coupe

Zoom Zoom

This model depicts the last of the first-generation M Coupes made at BMW USA’s Spartanburg, SC plant. BMW has started production of a sexy new M Coupe based on the Z4. The final three cars off the Z3 production line prior to changeover to the Z4 were a red M Roadster, white M Coupe, and blue Z3. When I saw this M Coupe at the factory museum called “The Zentrum†I realized this was how I wanted to build my 2002 M Coupe kit.

The kit was made by Dragon (an update of their M Roadster) and was sold by Revell in Europe; it's always been scarce/hard to find in the US-I got this from a friend in Europe, though they do show up occasionally on Ebay. It’s not a particularly good kit as it’s got a number of sketchy details and engineered glitches but it’s sufficient for a basic curbside. I disassembled the prepainted body and painted it Tamiya Pure White, and designed and laser printed the trademark BMW flag decals for the car. I also lowered the ride height a bit and made a sunroof by simply painting that area of the roof with Tamiya gloss black. I scratchbuilt the rear license plate holder, the plate reads “Proud To Call South Carolina Homeâ€.

Finished1-vi.jpg

Finished2-vi.jpg

Finished3-vi.jpg

Finished4-vi.jpg

Finished5-vi.jpg

Finished6-vi.jpg

The basic body and printed decals:

Decals-vi.jpg

The 1:1 on display at the BMW Zentrum:

DSCN4418-vi.jpg

DSCN4417vi-vi.jpg

Thats cool , great likeness , decals almost look like their from Asian Tuner decals...

Thanks! The trademark flag-style decals used by BMW on some of their race cars were "borrowed" by the tuner crowd long after BMW had been using them :roll: :lol:

Looks real nice! Tell us about your treatment of the rims, they have a very realistic appearance...

Thanks! I'd love to tell you what secret I had making them look so good, but I hang my head in shame... :lol:

They were prepainted and looked too good to bother to refinish. The centercaps are the stickers from the kit (no decals, just stickers... :roll: ) carefully trimmed out so they look like decals.

The entire kit was prefinished like an AMT Pro Finish kit, I stripped the factory paint from the body w/91% rubbing alcohol and painted over the interior two-tone blue/black to this car's black and white theme using Tamiya flat black and white primer. The instrument sticker is quite accurate, and the center stack sticker is also very accurate, I had to carefully remove it before repainting the stack itself. With the thick glass in place you really miss a lot of the interior detail.

The blue plastic did bleed through the white primer a bit, so I applied a mid-coat of Zinsser B-I-N primer/sealer under the next primer and finish coats. When it's dry it sands as nicely as any primer.

Very nice Bob!

Excellent job on what I consider an underappreciated car! I've not seen too many here in the states, and I hear that those M coupes are little screamers!!

I simply love the new version that just came out.............and I sure wish I could afford one but alas................:)

Very nice Bob!

Excellent job on what I consider an underappreciated car! I've not seen too many here in the states, and I hear that those M coupes are little screamers!!

I simply love the new version that just came out.............and I sure wish I could afford one but alas................:)

Thanks Bill! It certainly was an "oddball" in terms of design, but it's a blast to drive. I got a chance to put a few miles on one for a charity event. The M Roadster is even more fun if you like the wind in your hair :lol: They always have been a relatively rare sight; especially the Z3 coupes (the lower HP/non "M" versions).

The new M Coupe is drop-dead gorgeous IMHO. Finally a new BMW that looks "right" with none of the electronic gizmos like the SMG transmission or I-Drive that are ruining other BMW's even if you can stomach the odd styling details.

• 14 years later...
On 6/27/2006 at 7:27 PM, Zoom Zoom said:

Thanks! I'd love to tell you what secret I had making them look so good, but I hang my head in shame... :lol:

They were prepainted and looked too good to bother to refinish. The centercaps are the stickers from the kit (no decals, just stickers... :roll: ) carefully trimmed out so they look like decals.

The entire kit was prefinished like an AMT Pro Finish kit, I stripped the factory paint from the body w/91% rubbing alcohol and painted over the interior two-tone blue/black to this car's black and white theme using Tamiya flat black and white primer. The instrument sticker is quite accurate, and the center stack sticker is also very accurate, I had to carefully remove it before repainting the stack itself. With the thick glass in place you really miss a lot of the interior detail.

The blue plastic did bleed through the white primer a bit, so I applied a mid-coat of Zinsser B-I-N primer/sealer under the next primer and finish coats. When it's dry it sands as nicely as any primer.

Hi, "Mr." Zoom Zoom, this Z3 M Coupe would be my buying choice if I was reach enough, but definitively not this colour!, I have to repaint mine also, so I will need to remove what I think is a varnish, as I scratched a little in the inside body and found that the plastic has that blue colour also... what do you mean with "rubbing alcohol", is it Isopropyl Alcohol? and how did you unglue the clear windows parts? breaking it is of a Very Probable risk...

On 3/28/2021 at 5:09 AM, ChrisR said:

Awesome!

How did you manage to get to windows out before repainting the body?

Thanks! It was a long time ago, the glass was difficult to remove. I vaguely remember it was a tedious job of careful ungluing with some X-acto scribing and gentle prying. The prepainted/pre-assembled nature of this kit was frustrating but it is literally the only game in town. It still looks good; I remove it from a display case every few years.