Model Cars Magazine Forum

' 70 Monte Carlo SS

smellyfatdude

After posting some stuff I'd finished, I thought I'd share my current project, just started this past weekend. The body was done with six coats of Tamiya TS-12 orange, and three coats of clear. I did the foil scripts prior to painting, and cleaned them off carefully with some lacquer thinner.

The interior will be white seats and panels, with woodgrain accents on the black dash and console. I'm still debating whether or not to use some black stripe decals on the hood and trunk. It won't be stock in the long run, and I am going to add a photo etched SS badges to the center of the back panel, as well as the fenders. I doubt I'll use the rally rims in the kit, so the search is on for the perfect wheels. A slight rake in the back and some fat tires, those are definitely on the menu! ;)

paint006m_zpsbeb8a133.jpg

paint004m_zps6aa50746.jpg

paint010m_zps211a6362.jpg

paint016m_zps5ec2865e.jpg

engine002m_zps616b9a17.jpg

Thanks BK, Dragfreak and Erik. So far, no paint mishaps which is always nice. I got the underhood area painted black, just have to take some of the sheen off of the cowl with some flat clear. I'm having trouble deciding what wheels to use. I'd like to save the rally rims in the kit for another project, so I'm open to suggestions.

detail004m_zps5ffdfd9b.jpg

detail002m_zpscc87f89d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, a little update on the Monte. The body is as good as done, adorned with foil and black wash along the bottom. Just needs the glass in, now.

The interior is finished as well, and I decided to snitch the column and wheel from the Revell ' 69 Nova kit. I also bought yet another ' 69 Nova kit this morning, (I have four now, three Special Edition, one Yenko) for the rally rims, and have decided to use them on my orange beast.

Hopefully, I'll have more progress to show soon.

wash002m_zps061c91bd.jpg

wash004m_zps70ba2cb7.jpg

wash010m_zpsf930f9d3.jpg

interior019m_zps247c1b00.jpg

interior015m_zpseb10432e.jpg

interior006m_zpse4faa47f.jpg

• 1 month later...

Oops, sorry. Should have updated this one, or sadly announced it's end. This project met a fiery death a few weekends ago, while I was trying to join finished body and chassis. The mating was unsuccesful, resulting in crushed "a" pillars and a crack in the roof to boot. The body resides at the dump now, and I've saved the rest of the parts for other projects.

Result - fail! :wub:

Current project status - terminated#

Shameless plug - if you haven't seen my current project, click here.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=76409&hl=

:lol: