Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors Metalizer paint Question

To me, and I believe I mentioned this in another thread, if you plan to do nothing each and every day but paint, prep and build model cars then by all means buy a bunch right now. The problem is modelers burnout. I see on so many forums where someone jumps in with both feet. Buy's up everything under the sun even related to the hobby, and then in a few short months the fuse burns out. Within a year or two everything is up on ebay, except of course the barely used paints which are now dried out. Don't do that to yourself. It's a hobby and should be fun. A sometimes distraction from the workaday world. You've already by your own admission spent well over a couple hundred dollars just to get set up to build a model. You should focus on the basics of cleanup and prep, and painting/ assembly long before you start buying every color in the catalog. The odds are stacked against you hun, and i'm not trying to discourage you, but rather save you some grief (and maybe some sheckels!) in the long run.

I think it's awesome that any lady will brave the overly masogenistic tone of a site like this and even more awesome you want to build model cars. The hobby does not have enough representation from the estrogenical set and that's sad. But, instead of jumping into uncharted waters with both feet, try dipping a toe or two until you are comfortable with all that's involved but don't start blowing out that bank account right off the bat.

This is just my two cents. Or as my buddy Jacen used to say:

The views of mister White do not necessarily comply with the views of this network, it's stations, affiliates or sponsors. These views are nothing more than the ravings of a mental state that is NOT up to code! For anyone reading these statements in part or in full, it is recommended you rinse with saline solution fully five minutes per eye used.

I have found that aluminum, titanium and magnesium cover about everything I'm likely to do on cars. I'd like to have brass, but no one nearby ever stocks it (so I use Rub 'n Buff).

Unless you're going to airbrush, I think the little brush bottles are useless, as the metallic particles suspended in the paint resist laying down consistently and smoothly with a brush.

There are several effects you can get with the stuff, all the way from raw castings to polished metal parts, and it's always one of the highlights of a build for me.

Anne ,

My list is the same as Bill's , add on the steel and gun metal . The buffing product is the preference here , due to the fact that it can be polished and produces a true metal look to the parts .

The small bottles are airbrush ready , no thinner needed . Apply with multiple light mist coats . I also use it in place of a primer for my metallic and pearl paint jobs .

As for your approach to the hobby ? Rev the motor , dump the clutch , and put it to the floor as you've been doing ! You have talent , it shows , and you will get better with each and every build .

I think it's awesome that any lady will brave the overly masogenistic tone of a site like this...

"Masogenistic?" That's not a word.

If you mean "mysoginistic" (a dislike, hatred or distrust of women)... what makes you say this site is like that? :blink:

"Masogenistic?" That's not a word.

If you mean "mysoginistic" (a dislike, hatred or distrust of women)... what makes you say this site is like that? :blink:

Okay grammar police, so I misspelled it! I think however, if you look over the general tone of the site, or any such site you'll find it to be very much "boys club". We have female members, but the only one that ever posts is Turbokitty and her visits here are rare. I'm just saying more female members on the roster and regularly posting would be a more welcome sight.

Harry I was wondering the same thing? Yes there is mostly men in this hobby but when guys find out my fiance also builds models they love it. She is the most popular member in our club. I can't say I have ever seen a bad thing said of female modelers in fact with the ablity Anne is already showing the fact she is a women plays in her favor imho because women tend to be more detail oreintated.

I love the metalizers they add a richness you normally can't get with normal paints.

Dave I understand how you and Harry could be confused, so i'll just ask you this. How often when making a post or reading a new post do you see "Hey guys..." as opposed to "Hi guys and gals..." Women are largely ignored here for the ease of the post. Just sayin. Now if you wish to continue debating it and or crucifying me for bringing it up then by all means waste more time in someone elses thread. I on the other hand have said my piece and I leave you to it. Good day ladies and gentle...uh...guys. :P

To answer the Metalizer question, I use aluminum, steel, magnesium, and although I have brass I rarely use it. I don't have an airbrush yet so any detail painting is done with a brush, which usually gives me good results. Regarding Kevin's (Magnum4342) comment, I too wish there were more females in the hobby. I'd love to start a female only community build but I have a feeling it would be scoffed at and ridiculed by atleast some of the male members here and it would get it locked or deleted, mainly because it seems there are some members here who still have the '50s mentality that women have no business in this hobby (or with cars in general). It's not 1955 anymore.... :/ Anyway Anne I love your enthusiasm but I agree with the idea of pacing yourself. It seems like you've got enough kits to keep you busy for a few months at least, but remember to keep it fun. Don't make building into a chore, and don't load up with stuff that you won't use immediately. Oh, and send some of your enthusiasm my way lol! :)

To answer the Metalizer question, I use aluminum, steel, magnesium, and although I have brass I rarely use it. I don't have an airbrush yet so any detail painting is done with a brush, which usually gives me good results. Regarding Kevin's (Magnum4342) comment, I too wish there were more females in the hobby. I'd love to start a female only community build but I have a feeling it would be scoffed at and ridiculed by atleast some of the male members here and it would get it locked or deleted, mainly because it seems there are some members here who still have the '50s mentality that women have no business in this hobby (or with cars in general). It's not 1955 anymore.... :/ Anyway Anne I love your enthusiasm but I agree with the idea of pacing yourself. It seems like you've got enough kits to keep you busy for a few months at least, but remember to keep it fun. Don't make building into a chore, and don't load up with stuff that you won't use immediately. Oh, and send some of your enthusiasm my way lol! :)

See guys...she gets it so nyah! :P

Thank you for the backup Michelle. Sure we guys have to tune into TCM every now and then and watch a John Wayne flick to see how it was, but recently i've even had to tell my dad, those days are over. Get with the program guys, and Turbo, you start that community build and ignore the troublemakers.

LOL not to get too far off topic but you're welcome & thank you too. I'm glad Anne joined and I'm trying to find other ladies because the more the merrier. At the last model club meeting I went to there was a sweet 14 yr old girl who came with her grandpa. She brought a Revell '71 Cuda that she was building in a Halloween theme, I am gonna try to get her to join and I hope she comes to the next model meeting :)

As far as a community build, I haven't decided what it should consist of yet, maybe builder's choice? Sorry Anne, not trying to hijack your thread hun. You've gotten some great advice here!

...... mainly because it seems there are some members here who still have the '50s mentality that women have no business in this hobby (or with cars in general). It's not 1955 anymore....

What a shame so many stereotypes just refuse to die. There were often 'car-girls' in '50s hot-rod films who got greasy and were into it as much or more than their male counterparts. And of course there were always the insecure men who felt somehow threatened by females invading their manly-place. Still are, unfortunately (insecure men, that is). Can't recall the last time I knew a woman who didn't have to be dragged kicking and screaming to any car-related event, though.

In general, I've got to say I like women, and I like cars, so women who like cars (and actually know something about them, which a lot of "car-guys" don't, really) are pretty special in my book.

I dated a woman who was an aerospace engineering major at Ga.Tech for several years in the '70s, and she was smart, a wizard at calculus (much better than me), drove a TR-6 quite well, and still managed to be soft, pretty and feminine when she wanted to be. Quite a combination. Being true to who you really are inside is so much more important than being who you're supposed to be.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy