Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 914/6 GT

afx

Confession, I am a Porsche fanatic. I have always hoped that Fujimi, or any kit manufacturer would release a detailed Porsche 914 kit. I would even be happy if Revel would re-issue ther simplified kit. Well I guess I am tired of waiting so what I am attempting to do is kit bash Revell's kit with Fujimi's Enthusiast Porsche 911 kit to build the best 914/6 I can. I would like to build the race car with the wheel well flairs but body mods have never been my strength so well see. I am more of a chassis/engine kind of guy so that is where I am going to start. Here is the Revell kit I am starting with.

Edited by afx

A little more surgery and we have the rear suspension mocked-up. The ride hight is way to high at this point but we will adjust that later as well as clean-up all the protruding pins and rods.

DSCN0861.JPGDSCN0862.JPG

Edited by afx

I've always had a thing for the 914 !

Can't wait to see how yours is going to turn out !

Scariest ride I've ever been in was a 1970 914 with a 327 / 4-speed (the latter from a 930 or something) . Just plain nuts ! Ran like a striped ape and handelled like it was on rails ! Had to pull me britches from my posterior after the ride ended !

Nice project, good looking work. I'm a Porsche guy too...love all the aircooleds and have a couple. I'm curious as to why you decided to modify the rear of the chassis though, as the 1:1 car uses the same rear structure and banana-arm / coil-spring layout as the 4 cylinder cars.

Thanks Bill. I understand this modification will not be totally faithful to the 1:1 car. Based on my research I thought the 911 rear clip would give a fairly accurate representaton of the the 1:1 car and allow me to build a more detailed model. The Revell kit's floor pan has no frame structure at all and I thought the kit's rear trailing arms where lacking. I plan to add a coil spring in lieu of the shocks I show mocked-up. Frankly I didn't even look at the Fujimi's 356 kit suspension to see if it may be more accurate.

Edited by afx

seems to me i have seen a 1/24 914/6 resin body somewhere...

nice project, this should be fun. i would like to put a quad cam in one myself, or a twin turbo rotary.

Thanks. The only 914/6 resin kit that I am aware of was made by Volkl. I have been looking for one for years and have not found one. If anyone has one I would be very interested in it.

vrc9146.jpg

Edited by afx

Very interesting, and nice going so far on a kit that's difficult to make look right.

The Fujimi 356 wouldn't help you, I'm afraid, as the real 356 uses torsion bars and straight trailing arms, much like a VW Beetle. The torsion bars are transversely-mounted, like the 911, ahead of the transaxle for the rear-engined application, and like the 911 torsion-bar rear suspension, won't work on a mid-engined car.

It is rather a shame that the Revell 914 rear structure is so poorly done, as you mention, though the rear suspension geometry is fairly close to accurate (from the standpoint of the control arm pivot and top coil-over mounts). I just looked at my own 914 kit and had forgotten how bad the rear structure is, and that I was disappointed seeing the poorly-represented underside when it came in. It definitely heeds an upgrade like you're doing..

I'm dismantling 2 rusty 914s here, and also have a '74 911 up on stands at the moment, so if you need any photos of the 1:1s for specific reference, just ask.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Excellent...I had the pleasure of owning a '74 914 1.8 back in the late 70's

took it to Garretson Enterprizes in Mt. View, CA and they did a number on it...

replaced Fuel Injection with a couple of Webers, low flow exhaust, massive sway bars and adjustable Koni's w/Pirelli CN36's on all four corners.

Autocrossed the heck outa this thing, what a blast!

built both the Revell 914-6 and 914 kits

lookin' forward to see this one come together

thanx

Very interesting, and nice going so far on a kit that's difficult to make look right.

The Fujimi 356 wouldn't help you, I'm afraid, as the real 356 uses torsion bars and straight trailing arms, much like a VW Beetle. The torsion bars are transversely-mounted, like the 911, ahead of the transaxle for the rear-engined application, and like the 911 torsion-bar rear suspension, won't work on a mid-engined car.

It is rather a shame that the Revell 914 rear structure is so poorly done, as you mention, though the rear suspension geometry is fairly close to accurate (from the standpoint of the control arm pivot and top coil-over mounts). I just looked at my own 914 kit and had forgotten how bad the rear structure is, and that I was disappointed seeing the poorly-represented underside when it came in. It definitely heeds an upgrade like you're doing..

I'm dismantling 2 rusty 914s here, and also have a '74 911 up on stands at the moment, so if you need any photos of the 1:1s for specific reference, just ask.

Thanks Bill, I may take you up on some reference photos later on. I think I have what I need at the moment. Here's some photos of a 911ST I did awhile back.

DSC08360-viIMG 1803-vi

Edited by afx

Excellent...I had the pleasure of owning a '74 914 1.8 back in the late 70's

took it to Garretson Enterprizes in Mt. View, CA and they did a number on it...

replaced Fuel Injection with a couple of Webers, low flow exhaust, massive sway bars and adjustable Koni's w/Pirelli CN36's on all four corners.

Autocrossed the heck outa this thing, what a blast!

built both the Revell 914-6 and 914 kits

lookin' forward to see this one come together

thanx

Thanks Tony, sounds like a nice car. I really liked your Tony Adamowicz F5000 build-very nice.

Well I took the plunge. I am attempting to add the wheel flairs. I laid out the rough opening for the flairs with a paper template and then using a jewler's coping saw I cut out the stock openings.

DSCN0864.JPG

Edited by afx

I bought an old built up from that auction site we all love to hate for a grand total of $8 including shipping! I tried chemically stripping the paint but no luck so I had to sand the paint off the fenders.

DSCN0866.JPGDSCN0867.JPG

Edited by afx

Using the sanded fenders and my paper template I cut out the stock wheel well opening and glue it to the edge of the strip styrene I created the fender extension with.

DSCN0868.JPGDSCN0869.JPG

Edited by afx