Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wendell Scott '69 Torino

Scottnkat

This is my copy of Wendell Scott's 1969 Torino. I was going to build a copy of my own 1:1 car, but the kit was missing the chassis, so I decided to improvise. I started by sanding down all the trim off the body and added the fuel filler. I then lengthened an old NASCAR chassis that I got from a friend, and scratched the rear firewall from sheet styrene. The 427 engine was made from parts from multiple sources. I modified the rollcage from the old chassis to fit and added a couple of missing bars. I modified the kit wheels and seat so I could use them with the old chassis. I modified a spare rear end to fit and built a driveshaft from styrene rod. I added seatbelts made from ribbon and styrene, and I added hood pins made from needles, wire, and sequins for the scratch plates, as well as the rear window straps from sheet styrene. Anyway, on to the pictures:

004a_zpsa269bc26.jpg

005a_zpseb44f15e.jpg

006a_zps4b246c81.jpg

007a_zps3843369b.jpg

008a_zpsa0ec9633.jpg

As always comments or suggestions are welcome

Nice Torino! Perfect paint job and excellent detailing, too. I really like the tire textes, very clean job with them. Great decals on it, too. I like these Vintage NASCARS, and actually I'm going to start building one of this year's Torinos soon.

Thank you, everyone. I'm happy with how it turned out.

Mark, I didn't detail the engine compartment at all - the engine is made of at least three engines since I didn't have any complete 427s

Mark, I used the Powerslide decals - they are not doubled up at all - they are really great. The hood decals were made by me as the sheet didn't have these ones on it

Niko, I used a white gel pen to paint the white Goodyear text on the tires

Edited by Scottnkat