1/25 MPC Plymouth Duster Kits

44 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Nice seein' those old Duster kits as I've had a few of them back-in-the-day.

Posted · Report post

I must've been one of the few kids who didn't care for the "wild" options on the'71, but the thing that really puzzled me was something you noted as well: why go to all this trouble to offer "wild" options if you're not going to offer anything other than stock wheels.

I'm waiting to see the rest of the sprues you've got. When I finally got around to buying a mid-'70s MPC A-body (the box called it a Dart, but I think the grille still said Plymouth) I found that it had some interesting "custom" parts: Trans Am fender air extractors and chromed Pontiac Honeycomb wheels. I was only 14, but I knew enough about cars to know that that was wrong.

Posted · Report post

You're not alone Monty. While I always prefer a nice set of mags to stock wheels, I usually prefer a clean looking car without alot of showy jazzed up items added on.

Posted · Report post

I must've been one of the few kids who didn't care for the "wild" options on the'71, but the thing that really puzzled me was something you noted as well: why go to all this trouble to offer "wild" options if you're not going to offer anything other than stock wheels.

I think the answer to that lies on the different sections of the chrome trees. If we consider the quadrant with the bumper to always be the upper right quadrant, the lower left quadrant changes through the years, with the air cleaner, fan, and goofy gas tank half pieces disappearing in '73, replaced by a second set of wheels and the two-piece Sport mirrors.

Posted · Report post

Casey,

If you don't have enough storage room you could always send one or two my way.

Mike

Mopar To Ya

Posted · Report post

Nice pics..I have all of those except for the '71. I also have a '73 Pro Stock kit molded in orange, got it as a partially built parts kit, box and decals missing.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I see on the 75 kit box, it has a clear hood scoop. Anyone know if it was actually clear in the kit ?

IF if is ,,,,,,,I NEED one of those scoops bad.

ps, not all 1972 kits were molded in yellow. Mine is molded in Curious Yellow ( aka Cintronyella ) which is more of a greenish yellow when compared to the 71 kits color ( I have both as unbuilt / builders )

1972 on the left- 1971 on the right in all 3 pictures. subtle differences are - sidemarkers, and interior patterns and tail lights were the most obvious differences between the 2 kits

dusters-a.JPG

duster-c.JPG

duster-b.JPG

Edited by gtx6970

Posted · Report post

good to see these old kits again.. thank's for pic's and review..great post ! :D

Posted · Report post

All I can say is COOL! But then I'm a Duster freak. I have a few of those kits.

Two build ups of the 73 and 74 and 75 kits I got in a rebuilder state. Used one

of the 73 kits to do my 1:1 car.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for posting this "kit-history lesson". I've always thought that these old MPC kits actually got the shape of the roofline and overall body molded a little better than the late-1990's kit issued by AMT/Ertl.

Yes, the AMT/Ertl kit was much better in 340 engine, chassis and interior detail, but the body's roofline just wasn't right along the side windows... these MPC kits did a better job on that!

Posted · Report post

I see on the 75 kit box, it has a clear hood scoop. Anyone know if it was actually clear in the kit ?

IF if is ,,,,,,,I NEED one of those scoops bad.

No, it was molded in white, in two pieces. You can see both halves in the third pic of the '75 kit post.

Thanks for the info, too, Bill.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for posting this "kit-history lesson". I've always thought that these old MPC kits actually got the shape of the roofline and overall body molded a little better than the late-1990's kit issued by AMT/Ertl.

Yes, the AMT/Ertl kit was much better in 340 engine, chassis and interior detail, but the body's roofline just wasn't right along the side windows... these MPC kits did a better job on that!

There is a lot to love about '60s-70s MPC kits, IMO...

Posted · Report post

I certainly agree, Rob!

Posted · Report post

as far as the prostocks go, the California Flash is pretty much a stock 72 Duster with the wheels and hemi specific parts. Not sure about the Sox and Martin since I do not own that one but I think it is similar to the Cal Flash Duster only in a 73. The Mopar Missle has a lot more specific parts in it for that version. Chassis plate has the exhaust removed. Interior tub has the rear seat deleted and made to look like riveted metal. The rest of it is pretty much the 73 Duster. Missing the stock pieces of course.

Posted · Report post

I just ck'd all mine, I have builtups of the California Flash duster, Sox-Martin Duster and Mopar Missle dusters,

All have the same interior - race ft bucket seats and no back seat. with virtually no interior door panel design molded in . Just window and door handles cranks. I bought them as builtups so I can't say for sure if any / all / none of them came that way from MPC or not

Both my Ca. Flash and S+M Dusters are molded in white, Missle duster is molded in black

Posted · Report post

Looking at your photos Casey it looks like the 71 Demon shares much of the same tooling as the 71-72 Duster kits. Compare the chrome trees. I'll bet the engine, chassis and probably the glass is identical too.

3cb3ba24-6f55-44aa-9646-c1bdb8282217.jpg

72Dust3.jpg

Posted · Report post

Casey

That is not a devil on the back panel. The Duster had a sub model called the "TWISTER", that is a picture of a twister. The Demon had a decal of the devil on it?

Posted · Report post

Casey

That is not a devil on the back panel. The Duster had a sub model called the "TWISTER", that is a picture of a twister. The Demon had a decal of the devil on it?

I originally had "dust devil", but I wasn't sure what its official name is.

I thought it might get too messy if both the Duster and Demon/Dart Sport kits were all in one topic, despite the fact both Plymouth and Dodge '71-'76 A-bodies, both real and in 1/25 scale, share many parts. I sure hope Round2 decides to put the Spyder wheels from the Duster back onto the chrome sprue as an optional set of wheels when the '71 Demon is backdated. :)

Posted · Report post

Yours may be a hodge podge of parts then because I know for certain the cal flash had a stock interior. Like I said, the S&M car I dont know for sure. So I'm betting that you actually have 2 S&M kits or posibily a mixture of all of them to get the kits you have. My Mopar Missile is white plastic. I want to say the S&M car was white also? The Cal Flash I have is red.

DSC_0859_zpse6edb943.jpg

DSC_0856_zpsa5b1a1c6.jpg

DSC_0858_zps7cb63e1f.jpg

DSC_0857_zps1d3cc2ca.jpg

Posted · Report post

Paul,

You are correct, the S & M Duster was white. Pretty much the same kit as the Mopar Missle but in white plastic. My Calif. Flash is molded in orange.

Jim Kampmann

Posted · Report post

Paul,

You are correct, the S & M Duster was white. Pretty much the same kit as the Mopar Missle but in white plastic. My Calif. Flash is molded in orange.

Jim Kampmann

Jim,

So maybe my Mopar Missile is in fact the Sox and Martin car. Or they could have come both ways but that may explain what GTX has then. Also the Flash car is a 72, the Missile and the S&M car were 73's

Paul

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks for the review , Casey !

The 1973 annual has been my "white whale" , with the '74 and '75 right behind . Always far-out of my financial reach !

My only *problems* I have with these Duster (and Dart Sport) kits is :

1.) Absolutely no brake master cylinder ! Not ever a hint of one !

2.) 4 speed transmission with automatic console and shifter !

As far as I'm aware , a 1976 Duster kit never materalised ! Only -scale- difference would be the grille ; and in "1:1" would be :

1.) Ambre-coloured parking lamp lenses ;

2.) Foot-operated parking brake , and ;

3.) Windshield-mount interior rear view mirror

Also , for 1976 , the 360 was relegated to option status , and was no longer its own , separate model . The 360 could be had with any trim level Duster (and the 1976 Valiant "A38" police package , but that's another story ...).

Its h.p. rating was sublime for 1976 : 220 hp ! How so ? True dual exhaust and no catalytic converters !

Edited by 1972coronet

Posted · Report post

Thanks for this thread. This answers a lot of questions I had about the MPC 72 Duster kit I'm slowly restoring. Mine was built as the race car and I was planning to build as the Arlen Vanke Duster. Mine is molded in yellow and has the stock interior and no hole in the hood but has the hood scoop pictured. Dis the race cars come in yellow and have a Hemi in them?

Posted · Report post

My only *problems* I have with these Duster (and Dart Sport) kits is :

2.) 4 speed transmission with automatic console and shifter !

Actually the console is the same from the automatic with exception to bigger hole for the shifter in place of the auto gate, (the upper console plates are interchangable btw and still available aftermarket resto) and there is a cutout on the drivers side at the bottom for clearance of the tunnel hump for shifter clearance. Therefor it could be fibbed a bit and changed to resemble a 4 spd console with minimal work.

Paul