Model Cars Magazine Forum

WEATHERING CIVILIAN VEHICLES BOOK

my main question is, if it is just portfolio book (aka pictures i have seen on the internet or live), or real modeling book stuffed by step by step weathering articles !?!?

Agree, I would like to see the contents before dropping the dough for it.

The use of the term "civilian vehicles" bugs me. It's something the IPMS do. All the military stuff is important enough to get separated into classes like WW2 German Eastern Front soft skinned with a driver called Carl 1/35, WW2 German Eastern Front soft skinned with a driver called Carl 1/32, WW2 Eastern Front...

But anything non-military is just lumped into Civilian Vehicles as if they are all the same.

And anyway, are the weathering techniques any different for cars compared to tanks?

Is military grade rust different because it is catalogued and documented?

Dr. Cranky,

I've been watching your videos...they are great!!!

I have a very serious question though:

If you were to advise someone who is coming back to the hobby after a 25 year hiatus, and they could only buy one of the two books, which book would you advise them to buy?

I've always loved weathered models, trains, planes, military and automotive, and desperately want to start, which book is best for learning how?

Your book, or this new one?

Bump.

Any thoughts. Doctor?

Clovis ,

He's probably buried up to his neck in projects , so , if you don't mind , I'll answer for him ! Buy Virgil's book ! Plain and simple , if you follow his methods on whatever you're weathering , be it train , car , truck , building , etc , it will turn out fantastic !

The man knows what he's talking about and it translates well from the pages to the hands !

Donn Yost

The use of the term "civilian vehicles" bugs me. It's something the IPMS do. All the military stuff is important enough to get separated into classes like WW2 German Eastern Front soft skinned with a driver called Carl 1/35, WW2 German Eastern Front soft skinned with a driver called Carl 1/32, WW2 Eastern Front...

But anything non-military is just lumped into Civilian Vehicles as if they are all the same.

And anyway, are the weathering techniques any different for cars compared to tanks?

Is military grade rust different because it is catalogued and documented?

I've gotta agree. The title alone turned me off.

i never thought much of selling on the forum.

The Selling topic has been discussed recently, so please feel free to re-read the post and PM me with any questions: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70679&hl=%2Bselling+%2Bon+%2Bthe+%2Bforum

There is no ideal place on the forum to place topics such as this. I think it belongs in the Aftermarket section, but we don't have a dedicated section for new product announcements, so it goes in General.

...... we don't have a dedicated section for new product announcements, so it goes in General.

would that be difficult to create? i think it would only foster knowledge, and probably help out some of the many cottage industries serving the hobby.

would that be difficult to create?

You'd need to ask and discuss that with Harry and/or Gregg.

i think it would only foster knowledge, and probably help out some of the many cottage industries serving the hobby.

We already have a Resin & Aftermarket section for aftermarket products and getting the word out, but does a book fit there? A DVD? I think so, even if due to the lack of a better, more specific place here on the forum to put such products. In my eyes, books, DVDs, and similar items are tools you acquire and use to build better models, so while they aren't typical model parts, conversions, or decals, they serve the same general purpose- helping you improve upon what's included inside a pre-packaged model kit.

not a big fan of the PM. any class or seminar i have ever attended encouraged questions in open discussion. even to the point that the instructor would repeat the question, so that everyone would benefit by the response.

You have the ability to post an questions or comment you like in the topic I linked to if you have something to say about selling here on the forum.

Virgil's post isn't considered selling. He never mentioned any price info and according to the facebook page he linked to, the book isn't even out yet.

I don't recall anyone having a problem when Kevin from Missing Link posted prices for his '71 Olds notchback conversion kit in the Resin & Aftermarket section and his post needed to be edited to conform to the no price/selling rule. Listen, I get that some people don't care for Virgil's desire to share things he's into and wants to promote, and the way he chooses to do that. He's followed the forum rules, and we've tried as best we can to define what is and isn't considered selling here on the forum. There will never be an absolute definition, and will never be a day when everyone is satisfied by how selling is defined here, but the general rule is don't state any prices, provide an off-site link when possible, and don't be blatant with your post. If people want to call favoritism, fine, but they should at least be fair and apply the same rules and standards they personally apply to Virgil's posts as everyone else's, including their own.

Now, I don't mean to throw Kevin under the bus at all. I used his recent post as an example of what people shouldn't post and to point out there are more obvious posts regarding selling here on the forum than what Virgil posted. Kevin and Missing Link make great stuff, and I will vouch for it as a customer, so I just wanted to make that clear.

I don't mind editing people's posts which list prices and/or offer to buy and sell (jn the Trade/Wanted sections for example) so that they conform the forum rules, but continuing to take thinly veiled shots at a member and his posts when what that member posts is fully within the rules helps nobody. If you don't like a member's posts, fine, read it, roll your eyes, and move on. If you think what's posted is not within the forum rules, PM me or post a reply, but when it's been addressed before, especially when it's in response to one particular member's posts, don't continue to accuse a fellow member of something which is neither true nor accurate and only adds drama. Gregg's said many times that he doesn't want the drama here, and I agree 100%.

my main question is, if it is just portfolio book (aka pictures i have seen on the internet or live), or real modeling book stuffed by step by step weathering articles !?!?

This is book that has about 8 builders, including Chuck Doan, and a number of others and it is a HOW-TO with lots of step-by-step. When you say "stuffed," what I think you mean is that the book has lots of INSTRUCTION and EYE CANDY, which it does.

Agree, I would like to see the contents before dropping the dough for it.

Bob, the only way I think you might be able to see the whole book is if you luck out and find it at a show or a at a book store. AK-INTERACTIVE's USA distributor travels around in the North East.