Model Cars Magazine Forum

Civic Si Coupe

MD528

Hey Modelers, I managed to successfully post pics again and thought I'd share my WIP. Some of you may have seen this about 6 months ago before I accidentally deleted everything, so I won't into a lengthy history again. Basically, I've been at this Civic for about 9 years, off and on, building it one way, taking a break, building it another way, break, etc. About 2 years ago I decided to try and dedicate more time to the hobby and get it done as I have a number of other kits waiting for some attention. The car started out mild, then unfortunately took a "Fast N Furious" style turn, which led to an import 1/4 mile drag build, when then led to it sitting in the box for about 4 years. Now I've challenged myself to resurrect the mess I've made into a JDM style clean build with a few custom touches. A challenge it is as I've made the front/rear suspension, and front sub-frame un-useable. But that's okay as it leaves room for aftermarket go-fast goodies! The first four pics are from the beginning to about 2 years ago.

CivicSi002.jpg

CivicSi011.jpg

CivicSi013.jpg

CivicSi014.jpg

The past 4 or 5 months I've been able to begin the restoration back to stock, starting with the trunk area. I'm getting rid of the Altezza lights and putting the OEM's back in. Over the years I broke the part of the body below the rear window, so I had to replace that and began the trunk detailing.

CivicSiCoupeRebuildJan2011009.jpg

CivicSiRebuildJan2011028.jpg

CivicSiRebuildJan2011029.jpg

CivicSiRebuildJan2011034.jpg

Some more pics, the B16... this is as it sits now but I have taken off the cam gears and attempting to make better ones.

CivicSiRebuildJan2011026.jpg

CivicSiRebuildJan2011025.jpg

Thankfully I didn't destroy the engine bay and was able to reattach it. It's still in the process of being shaved, and I'm adding some frame, radiator support, and wheelwell work.

CivicSiRebuild003.jpg

The drag racing route..

CivicSiRebuild007.jpg

CivicSiRebuildJan2011029.jpg

CivicSiRebuild011.jpg

Thanks to the awesome build from Jamiko and his Civic EK hatch, it's inspired me to stop slackin' and take the quality of this build up a notch or two!!!

Thanks for the comments! I was able to get a little more work done this weekend with the engine bay and frame. Didn't get a chance to throw the pics on the computer but I will try to get some posted tonight. No slicks up front on this one, that was the plan years ago however in the future I may build a drag hatch. The doors, thanks but I'm going to change them to swing them outwards as normal!

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I'm back! It's been a good while since my last post, I apologize to any and everyone who was following my post. With school and both jobs, my hobby table hasn't seen much action until a few weeks ago.

There's been a little progress, mostly working on shaving the engine bay and the trunk area, getting the decklid, bumper, and tailight sections worked out. The more and more I work on these areas make me realize how much the body was messed up during all the transformations and/or storage periods. But I'll do my best to push on!!

Had to cut the rear bumper in half and shorten a bit, it was sticking out from the rear quarters a bit.

IMG_0742_zps66128f5c.jpg

I also sanded off all the old primer and cleaned up the body a little bit. The arch in the bottom of the picture will become the new wheel arches. In previous builds, I was going with a larger wheel/tire combo and fender flares and enlarged them too much. In an effort to bring the arch radius back to original, these pieces will be added and flared tastefully.

IMG_0743_zps5cc6ff9c.jpg

As for the engine, had a tough time using aluminum tube for the turbo piping, a lot of tight bends, the glue wouldn't hold past my handling, and marring the piping here and there during fabrication frustrated me too much and decided I need to just start making progress so I can get this car built! So, I used plastic tubing, a combo of 45's and 90's and straights, I came up with this. It's not equal length like I really wanted but it came out ok so far. Need to do some finish sanding and add weld marks but it should be ok I guess.

IMG_0745_zps3cab6df6.jpg

IMG_0746_zpsaa1c8e71.jpg

You may notice the cam gears gone, decided to remake them. So much more work, one day at a time!!!! Thanks for watching!

Edited by MD528