Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mild Custom GMC PU ----Update ----Color is on... Another Mock up...

Here is one of many builds I have going... this is a mild custom GMC truck from an old AMT 4X4 kit I have had kicking around under my railroad layout for years....figured it was about time to do something with it.... so here goes....

I am using an RG 502 resin motor so the first thing I had to do was alter the hood so the big plennum will fit. I used the big grey plastic bed insert for the roll bar that came with the kit to make the sides and then just shaped it from there.... I did not want to use a typical cowl hood but wanted to keep the overall boxy lines of the truck....this seems to have worked....it's a bit like the old 85 Monte SS aftermarket hoods in 1:1....why did I sell that car!??!?!.....this process allowed me to keep the wind-split as well so it looks stock for the most part....

Hood-vi.png

LowFront-vi.jpg

I am using the Pegasus 23" ST type wheels and tires so I needed to do a VERY mild tub for the rear wheels.... I am not a fan of tubs but these were necessary and once painted will not look like they were modified.....

Tubs-vi.png

I hacked off the rear part of the frame and built my own so I could get this thing to sit a bit lower.....but not so low that it would not drive if it was the real deal......

RearFrame-vi.jpg

The mock up looks good so far..... this will be the actual ride height based on doing kind of a "Faux-Frame-Axle" set up to make it look better....

FinalRideHeight-vi.png

If you look closely you can see the red alignment mark on the front fender... when the body is cinched back onto the frame and pinned into place the gap between the cab and body should disappear and the front wheels will line up in the wheel wells...

The engine mounting is next -------- "WHAT" have I gotten myself into here!!!! :o)

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

Edited by Duntov

A minor update here as the engine has been fully assembled.... (that is read "pinned")... and front and rear motor mounts are in place...

The front frame extensions needed to be widened and you can see where they were re-attached to the main frame unit. The brass pins visible on the radiator bulkhead give that piece some much needed stability. They will virtually disappear with the radiator installation and paint. The automatic transmission has been primed ... the rest of the engine will get final details, primer and paint.... Added the A-frames as well...these are rudimentary at best but give a good stance overall. Some work on the interior is underway.... more later...

Bill

Undersideenginemount-vi.png

EngineMount-vi.png

Steve:

I used a cobbled together scratch built set of A-frames for the front suspension.... it is really more or less well.... "PHONY"... but it certainly works for what this build is going to be.... you can see the upper and lower frames in the previous photo (bottom shot)... I won't use a spindle but rather I will just use a straight pin and tube set up into the frame to secure each front wheel and tire in a lowered position. Once some additional detail (cross member and tie rods) and paint are added you will not be able to see much of it any way and it sits right at this juncture.... I thought about the 62 Pontiac and the 70 Monte Carlo front end as well but did not want to raid those two kits..... the van idea sounds like a good one....

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a minor update on the interior and the engine....

The interior is mindlessly simple... The Alternomad donated it's seats (just the Impala SS seats really) so those look a bit better than stock I think... I will probably use the steering wheel as well because it is much more modern....

InteriorRaw-vi.png

The Ross Gibson Engine is a bear... literally (size) and figuratively (building and mounting)... It is pretty much finished but I am not happy with one or two details and will adjust prior to mounting it in the truck....this thing is the 502 and it is massive and a tight fit even in the GMC truck engine bay.... I had to cut the radiator shroud down and cobble an air filter together (again... donated parts from the Alternomad engine).... More as I get time.... Bill

EngineFront-vi.png

EngineRear-vi.png

Hi:

This is an update on the final frame paint and stance for this truck....

WARNING.... if you are a detail hound you might want to shield your eyes....not much to see here really but it sits just right... In my opinion...

I have recently moved toward VERY SIMPLE BUILDS.... focusing on "COMPLETION" and also... "THE LOOK".... This is one...

Here is the very basic frame... as mentioned earlier in this post I cut off the rear frame and added a scratch built extension to hold a basic rear end unit in a lowered position...

I did the same with the A-Frames... (I "MIGHT" add a main cross member after the engine is mounted--- will have to see...) .. I have a rudimentary exhaust built and ready for later... engine first of course....

Again.... this is mindlessly simple....by the way it is painted with the Krylon Ultra Flat Black Camouflage paint.... they have several neat colors that I like to use (Check them out....for sure).....expensive but worth the outlay for some alternative colors.... Black, Green, Tan, Grey etc etc....ALL ULTRA ULTRA FLAT!!!

The frame...

PalinJaneUnderside-vi.pngd

The final stance result is right where I wanted it.... again the goal here is something that will actually drive if it was real.....but it still looks like it could mow grass or push peanuts!!!! :o)

More later..........Bill

PrePaintsideview-vi.png

Another minor update....

The engine is finished and installed....

The RG 502 engine is pretty amazing...it is a model in and of itself and has great detail overall.... but to say it is a tight fit is a gross understatement....

If I had it to do over I might use a different power plant..... but here it is in place..... the brake booster will be moved over to accommodate the width of the big engine....

FirstEngineShot1-vi.png

One more overall shot of the mounting.....you can see the brass pin used to hold the transmission tail in place on the cross member in the upper right of the photo.... I have lost count of the number of pins used on this one... the engine alone is around 33-34 (REALLY!!!!....very little glue)

FirstEngineShot2-vi.png

Edited by Duntov

Awsome, that engine is a beast.

It really is... I was at the Chevrolet parts counter a while back to get parts for my 1:1 car and they had one displayed on the floor.... you just have to stand by a real one to really get the full effect of how big it is....

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an update on this build... it has been a while... NOT stalled mind you just can't get off the air planes long enough to get consistent work on it....

So here goes.... color is on... simple Tamiya Maroon...right out of the can...needs to be rubbed out....

Also a shot of the engine bay...very muted but looks good.... also added the hard bed cover Final assembly is pending......

Overall Color....

SideColor-vi.png

34SideShot-vi.png

HighOverview-vi.png

Engine bay shot.... some details to add as well.....

EngineBay-vi.png