Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does anyone remember this?

It doesn't look like the Canadians got to play the Golden Wheels game!

You're right! I just won an auction for a kit that was sold in Canada (bilingual box) and there's nothing on it related to Golden Wheels. Story of our lives. :rolleyes:

I joined up with AMT when they had the Blueprinter deal. I liked the exclusives they did and It would be cool to have something like that again!

Same here, and I don't remember the details though . But still have every blueprinter kit I received. Except the sunbeam tiger, I sold or traded that one off ( big mistake )

I would love one of those MPC cavi. I remember begging my mom to join me up with one of the model clubs but we never had enough money around to buy any of the kits that came later. I used to get so excited to get that box in the mail. Opening it and i'd realize NOT ANOTHER AIRPLANE OOOOOOH MAN this stinks lol

• 5 months later...

I remember joining the Revelle Master Modelers Club in the early '70's . It required you to build so many catagories / quanitiies to obtain levels of Profiency . I did list every model , what age , who's kit it was , how I finished and what each looked like , and what the deposition of each was . I explained the "Glue Bombs" of my youth with this detail . I did get a great Certificate . It has been lost over the years . I did have a choice of yea or nay on Monthly Kit Offers . Thank you for stirring up this memory . Thanx ..

I remember getting a it in the mail every month, the first was a Red Barron model and I think it was a bigger scale.

I also got a Hot Wheels car each month, the mail man used to love handing me the package, I would open them up with him. those were the days!

I remember the mailman bringing me cool stuff like that; now all he brings are bills. :(

I never joined the modelers club since they wanted to ship you spacecraft and military subjects and I was only a car builder. Plus I lived at an APO address in Europe and a lot of the offers wouldn't ship there.

I was a member of the Hot Wheels club and got my special chrome Boss Hoss Mustang, only available through that offer. That ticked off my friend Henry who had more Hot Wheels than anyone, but not that one. He offered to trade me a mess of stuff for mine, but I never would since I knew it bothered him a great deal!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Monogram also had a deal where you sent in the the title page of a instruction sheet, and they would send you a free kit. I think I ended up with 12 Bronco kits. Used them for community Christmas presents.

A "buy one, get one free" deal? I wonder how long Monogram kept that promotion going before they decided they were losing money on it! :lol:

My mother had me signed up for something like that in the late 80's. It lasted a few moths asI wasn't crazy about building planes, I just wanted cars. I remember the first model I recieved was a Fiero GT. I also remember Golden Wheels and Golden Opportunity kits. AMT had something too as I remember saving upc's in the mid 90's for a free kit.

Seems like I remember something like this in the 80s as well. IIRC, I had sent off for a kit during a transition with Ertl. I remember sending a few letters because it was taking weeks longer than normal to get my free kit.

• 4 years later...

Casey, that's really cool. Love the vintage packaging! A guy I know has a Cherry Bomb sitting on his desk that he built as a kid in the '60s, back when the kit has green-tinted glass. One of these days I'd like to track down and build one.

Since this thread got dug up from the depths, I remember Monogram having a similar club way back in the day also. I can't remember if the Monogram was similar to the others described since it was over 30 years ago, but I do remember at least these two kits showing up in my mailbox back then. 

monogram-chevrolet-malibu-police-car_1_48f5b6d93c150684cd5509c0bafe6c4d.jpg.f9b6b2be40144b3f41f0813d29763932.jpg

5ab3ed688b4dc_s-l300(1).jpg.1383152e1bb78719b8f4bb0e73b0a379.jpg

28 minutes ago, highway said:

Since this thread got dug up from the depths, I remember Monogram having a similar club way back in the day also.

I thought the Young Model Builder's Club was strictly a Monogram thing, but I've seen both Aurora and Revell kits "sent" as part of the series, so maybe multiple companies were involved, as it would've been prior to the Revell-Monogram merger. Maybe old stock Aurora kits were included in the YMBC after Aurora went belly up after 1977?

AuroraTDragYMBC.thumb.jpg.fcd8ac8b789c98278573c982e6ae94d5.jpg

AuBBYMBC.jpg.10cb02b2beba4c47c8190ab0c6e6bbe4.jpg

AuBBParentsMag.jpg.e4bd6ac80b1c5f7ed649aa9eea1c5b84.jpg

Edited by Casey

39 minutes ago, Casey said:

I thought the Young Model Builder's Club was strictly a Monogram thing, but I've seen both Aurora and Revell kits "sent" as part of the series, so maybe multiple companies were involved, as it would've been prior to the Revell-Monogram merger. Maybe old stock Aurora kits were included in the YMBC after Aurora went belly up after 1977?

The YMBC was run by Parents' magazine, not one of the model companies, so it figures the Club offered kits from different brands.  Here's a 1967 ad and info on YMBC.  Somebody posted the ad in a thread recently.  Maybe the "Aurora 1/32" thread???

https://clickamericana.com/eras/1960s/join-the-young-model-builders-club-1967

As for that 1/32 scale Malibu police car...I've often thought about building a diorama around an "Iraqibu."  Maybe some American soldiers in Iraq looking one over:

"In 1981, the Iraqi government placed an order for 25,000 Chevy Malibus to be used as taxis from General Motors Canada. The special-order taxis came with the weakest V6 mated to a unique three-speed manual mounted on the floor. All the taxis came with air conditioning and heavy-duty cooling as well, because it's the desert and the desert is hot, in case you didn't know.

GM shipped 13,000 of the things before Iraq suddenly pulled out of the deal, leaving over 12,000 Chevy Malibus custom-built for the desert sitting on the dock in Halifax, Nova Scotia, which is not a desert. Iraq claimed it was because of quality issues, and considering what GM was cranking out back then it's not far-fetched. In reality, though, it was probably because paying for a war and placing special orders for taxis at the same time doesn't make much sense.

The Malibus continued to languish in port until GM finally realized that no, Iraq was probably never going to take delivery of its taxis. Eventually they were all sold off to the Canadian public at a greatly reduced price, probably because no one needs a desert-ified Chevy in a place that has no deserts. Also, I hear it gets cold there. The "Iraqibu" can still be found prowling Canadian streets today, and they are a bit of a rarity."

https://jalopnik.com/this-chevy-malibu-tells-a-far-out-story-from-a-far-away-856827455

Edited by Mike999
error

Anyone ever get one of these ?  There's one on the bay right now in the model builders club box ,, for $300.

I did but it was missing one 1/2 of the fuselage. Big bucks kit now if you can find one. ,, and I've been looking.

Image result for ragnarok orbital interceptor

Edited by Can-Con