Model Cars Magazine Forum

Did Hubley make promos ?

Every now and then I'll run across an old Hubley plastic kit that's very simple, no engine, molded-closed hood, limited optional parts, and looks for all the world like it started life as a promo.

There are two old Ford wagon kits up for auction now, and I just got to wondering.

There are folks on here who know a great deal about the history of the industry / hobby, so how about it?

Yes. Promo/friction versions of the cars they sold as kits. The friction versions were molded in acetate, which shrink and warped. Models included Mercedes 300SL cabriolet, Rolls Royce, Triumph TR-3, '60 & '61 Ford Fairlane four-door sedans and Country Sedan station wagons. The Fords, unfortunately, are overscale in most respects compared to the AMT Galaxie series.

The Fords, unfortunately, are overscale in most respects compared to the AMT Galaxie series.

Thanks to both of you. How much overscale are the Fords? They would make such unusual models that I'm tempted, but I'd like something that at least 1/24 parts would work on. I have the Dauphine but haven't measured it for accuracy.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Last time I remember seeing one of the Ford's, I'd have to say they kinda looked to be closer to a 1-22 , maybe 1-23rd . I mean they weren't really bad , jus kinda large . Even the Nash metropolitan they did was a little large .................

The Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II by Hubley was the only promo model ever authorized by the factory. It's still available today as a Minicraft kit, and needs a lot of work to become acceptable. Hubley also made a 300 SL roadster cabriolet promo.

The Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II by Hubley was the only promo model ever authorized by the factory. It's still available today as a Minicraft kit, and needs a lot of work to become acceptable. Hubley also made a 300 SL roadster cabriolet promo.

I have that Hubley Rolls. Light blue in color and not a ripple, mold line or mis aligned bits anywhere. Minicraft must have really abused that mold.

Get a set of wazoo files... that'll take care of it. :P

I was adding more info to my post above when the dreaded Mac beachball appeared and stopped everything -- ergo, constipation in the digital wazoo.

Anyway, I was going to say that the Hubley / Minicraft Rolls has also been issued by Minicraft as a "Country Squire" edition with horrible woodie decals, and no other differences. To add injury to insult, many of them were produced with mistaken labeling that said they were 1/16 scale, when it's really 1/24. There never was a 1/16 version of this kit, and I have often alerted unknowing eBay sellers to prevent them from ending up with unhappy buyers.

(I know from experience -- I am the unhappy owner of a mislabeled kit, but the seller was so willing to make things right that I essentially got the kit for free).

Edited by sjordan2

I dont think the 1960 Fords were promos. They had a few custom parts and decals. If a true promo, it would not have these options. That being said, the Nash metroplitan was a promo, although a kit. Nothing but stock stuff in there. But isnt a promo really an already assembled model, not a kit?

Tried to post the pic, said "im not allowed" so just google Hubley 1960 Ford Country Sedan. Its a "4-way" customizing kit.

They were offered as Both Promo & Kit.

I have 2 of the 60 Country Sedan, and there is NO way they were Kits, They

are Warped, and even Hubley cast their kits in more stable Styrene.

The front fenders are pulling away from the grill, and the window unit has Shrunk greatly

leaving the lower edge of the piece showing almost all the way around!

I have some parts from a 60 Fairlane 4dr sedan, and it is in a Near neon Blue.

A Partial 61 Country Sedan wagon Kit is White. That Promo was Light Mint green!!

I believe Hubley labeled their Fords 1/24.

What makes the 60 look so big to my eyes, is that the tires are So much smaller than AMT's

early annuals!!

Sure wish some one could find the tooling of these!!!

That 62 does look like a Kit not a Promo. I have seen them shaped like an

upside down banana, or Camel's Hump!!!

Do you have the Instruction sheet or box for that one??

You are correct, that a Promo did not have the accessories like push bar on the front

bumper or Tow hitch on the rear

There old metal fords like the old 29 delivery truck are poorly designed and molded so much slag on them how i know this im building one a older gentle man has had for countless years new never opened and he having me build this aweful kit nothin lines up coorectly and you have to grind so much slag of the parts it redicous i was gonna get one off ebay to build one for me but after i get his done im not touching anothet one of the model t versions

That 62 does look like a Kit not a Promo. I have seen them shaped like an

upside down banana, or Camel's Hump!!!

Do you have the Instruction sheet or box for that one??

You are correct, that a Promo did not have the accessories like push bar on the front

bumper or Tow hitch on the rear

Nope I dont have either. I did modify the kit as you see to act a s a tow vehicle. Other than that it was unbuilt when I got it in a bag.

Still, that is enough info to know you got a Kit!!

The Promo would not have been 'Unassembled" like that

I have 7+ of those Hubley/Gabreal Diecast kits.

all three of the 32 Chevy's, 2 Packards, Ford Woody & Roadster.

Yes that have flash, More so that plastic kits (They did include a File)

I built all but the Ford A Roadster, and had little trouble with them.

Just like the Revell Old tool 55-57 Chevies!!!

• 2 weeks later...