Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/24 1988 Sauber Mercedes C9

BMX Addicts

Fresh out of a very mediocre build I have decided to stop whining about being new to the hobby or the lack of abilities to give a shot to a new project...

Always been a Sports Car fanatic so I have picked a Le Mans model, the 1989 Sauber Mercedes C9

1988SauberMercedes_zps77a2d7f3.jpg

Looked around for the specific model shown above (Tamiya SKU 24091), but it looks like is a vintage model that was replaced with the 1988 AEC Olympia Sauber (Tamiya SKU 24310), so I ended up purchasing it instead with the hope that I could find the decals while I build it.

DSC09530_zpsbcfffd64.jpg

Ah!!! Yes, in case you are wondering... I always buy two sets (Some times three) IOI

Thank you for reading.

Edited by BMX Addicts

Great model and car. It wiped the floor with the competition. This was great years of Le Mans,not this diesel BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH today.

Yes, the 1st, 2nd 3rd finish back in 1989 was probably the pinacle for Peter Sauber as far as Le Mans goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW_A9FiNFWk

Edited by BMX Addicts

I would not use that silver. That is Tamiya's answer to Alclad Crome. Take a good look at the silver on the pic you posted TS-17 is a better choice for silver car bodies. a liitle white added to the silver gives it that creamy silver you see on Porsche and Mercedes cars.

Hey Juan, WIP is work-in-progress. I have both of the kits you are talking about and will someday get to them. I really like the C9s. Good luck on your build!

Yup, I figured a second after posting the reply... Loads of WIP photos coming right out!!!

Hey Juan, i have this kit waiting to be built so i will be following also!

I'm pretty sure you will get them out of the boxes soon, super excited just seeing the parts in it.

By the way, I have heaps of great good friends in Australia.

I would not use that silver. That is Tamiya's answer to Alclad Crome. Take a good look at the silver on the pic you posted TS-17 is a better choice for silver car bodies. a liitle white added to the silver gives it that creamy silver you see on Porsche and Mercedes cars.

Thank you for the advice, you are absolutely right, the correct Mercedes color is the TS-17... I will keep the Metallic for smaller parts.

Nothing like jumping into the deep end Juan! This should be a good one, take your time and you should have a great looking model when it's all said and done!

Deep end indeed!!!... Ordered the Carbon Fiber kit from Scale Motorsports (Also their Photo Etched kits before I realized the kit had one inside).

Never done Photo Etch or Carbon before so I'm kind of freaking out just thinking about it.

Ah!!!, on top of everything... I received a message from Estrada saying the decals are in back order and would be a couple weeks before they get them in :(

Edited by BMX Addicts

Not completely happy with the fit of the engine bay door...

photo-1_zpse5b2ee85.jpg

The whole body is sanded and ready to be primed tomorrow

photo-2_zpsd585a473.jpg

I have a lot of confidence on the Tamiya primer (Mainly because is the only one I have ever used), but I have here the Model Masters Metalizer Sealer, has anyone ever used it?, is the product recommended by Donn Yost on his modeling video tutorials.

Dont get your hopes too high guys, I'm like a kid with crayons right now... :P

My wife walked into the studio earlier today and saw the car on the display... She said I should make it Yellow, or Red and in her own words "Even Pink" IOI

Do you think I will ruin the project if I were to consider a custom color???... Just sayin'

Edited by BMX Addicts

Do you think I will ruin the project if I were to consider a custom color???... Just sayin'

Juan, it's your build, do it how you want! If you're going for an exact replica, then go with the silver, if you want to see it in '50's aqua, then go for it, this hobby is all about doing what you want to your dream cars, so there is no wrong way to build one!

Thanks Mike, been thinking about that all afternoon... As little as my wife may know about cars, she has a valid point (And for sure you do as well).

Always liked the fluorescent colors combined with carbon parts but at the same time I have to think about the brand of the car... That transports me towards a metallic red or something of that nature.

Edited by BMX Addicts

Thanks Paul... I'm going to go to the hobby shop tomorrow to stare at the paints and see if something pops out.

Guys, I just added a new word to my vocabulary "Livery": A vehicle that denotes a relationship between the wearer of the livery and an individual or corporate body...

It looks like this build calls for some Monster Energy Livery

I also gained a new motto V V V V V :wub:

formula_two_ramon_pineiro_zpsbbbb7c00.jp

Edited by BMX Addicts