Model Cars Magazine Forum

70-73 Pontiac Trans Am/Formula/Espirit/Firebird.

Hello.

Is there made any resin kit`s for 70-73 Pontiac Trans Am,Formula,Esprit or Firebird ?

I could be blind but it seem to be a rare model out there.

Looking for the model with this bonnet/hood.

post-11584-0-56110100-1364243478_thumb.j

Edited by om617

Revell does a '70 Firebird with a shaker style hood, I would imagine there is a resin version of the Formula hood out there somewhere for it but unfortunately I've not looked hard enough.

EDIT: MPC did a '71 Formula that has the hood you're looking for I think.

Edited by kalbert

Thanks.

Yeah the model with shaker hood is quite common. Well,i guess i just have to keep looking.

I did see some vintage kit on ebay,but i think it was collector item or somthing judging out of pricetag.

Edited by om617

Mpc did that body and hood thru 73, the 74 to 76 firbird by mpc used the same hood. If you find these on auction sight make sure the scoop extensions are there. They are separate of hood. I have a couple in my stash.

I think reliable resin used to do them.

If you were to do a search for this board's opinions on Reliable Resin, you'd find several contentious threads that were ultimately shut down by the moderators. Long story short, the guy who runs RR is capable of creating decent resin products, but he is renowned for extremely late delivery of paid-for product.

If you find you have no alternative to using his stuff, see if you can find the product on ebay and make him verify that it's in stock & ready to ship.

I cast a body and that style hood that fits the monogram kit. Sean

OK, I've got a few Pontiac fans who might be interested in this. I assume you removed the fender extractors and fender flares. Anything else?

Also, is it possible to make that Formula hood without the hole for the T/A scoop?

If you were to do a search for this board's opinions on Reliable Resin, you'd find several contentious threads that were ultimately shut down by the moderators. Long story short, the guy who runs RR is capable of creating decent resin products, but he is renowned for extremely late delivery of paid-for product.

If you find you have no alternative to using his stuff, see if you can find the product on ebay and make him verify that it's in stock & ready to ship.

I bought a trans kit('70 GTO body and other parts) from RR on ebay 4 or 5 years ago and I don't think he sells there anymore. I have checked very recently looking for a '70 Formula Firebird myself. The RR website is up and running and the Formula kit is on there. Still up in the air about getting one though.

All the spoilers, flares, and extractors have been removed. The nose has been re-done also. The body work was done by another member I just casted the finished product,he is working on a formula hood without the hole and the air cleaner to match the hood. I will see if I can get an idea when it will be done. Thanks Sean

Sean, please PM me with prices for the Formula body, hood and air cleaner.

From what I've just read, it seems that the work on these items has been completed and they are now available. If that's the case, it would probably benefit your business to get pics of these items on here as soon as possible.

I intend to be a customer at some point, but I need to see the goods first.

Edited by Monty

Hi guys I'm the one that mastered the firebird Sean offers. I just jumped on today to send Sean a pm about the hood and air cleaner. They are done I just need to get them sent out to Sean. I'll try to post up some pics later of the finished car so you guys can check it out. Sean I'll shoot you a pm alittle later My little guys ready to go to the playground so thats first. Thanks Jeff

Sean or Jeffrey- What scale are we talking about? 1/24th or 1/25th and what donor kit is the master based from? I might be interested as well.

If you look at the provided link, it shows what I believe to be the 1/24 Monogram '70 Trans Am kit. I'm basing that on all the molded-in detail in the engine bay. The MPC kits were kinda sparse in that regard.

I know most of us would prefer to have everything in 1/25 scale, but if these guys have done their research and offer a good product, their items, combined with the higher level of detail in the Monogram kit, will probably result in a much better model.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70517&hl=%2B70+%2BfirebirdMonty you are correct. I started with the monogram kit I know most people prefer 1/25th but this was my first time trying anything like this so I needed a good starting point. I'm setting up a photobucket account at the moment so bear with me I should have photos up soon. I added a link to the green one I did with just the Formula/Trans Am hood .

Edited by IHSS