Model Cars Magazine Forum

Those "DUH" Moments...

So... it seems as if for the past 2 weeks, I've had nothing but DUH moments. Nothing serious, but it's always the simple DUH moments that really get the best of you.

Upon ordering the Revell 1:25 Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee, everything was golden (given I understand the lack of detail and phoniness of this kit). Scissors doors? Really?! Got past it, whatever. My initial plan for this model was to create the Charger out of Fast Five that Vin and Paul used to pull the vault, interior/ trunk cage and all. It was going to be my first true scratch built object ever. So, with research about Roll Cage scale, blah blah blah, I decide to order some styrene from Plastruct. Upon ordering 3 different times and getting my shipment today, I then realize that not once, twice but three times ordered the wrong size. Lesson: PAY ATTENTION!!

What's your greatest "DUH" moment?

Back in the 1980s when I ran the CAD room, we would cut the drawings with a metal straight edge and eXacto blade. I asked the department secretary to order 10 packs of blades, you know the packs with 10 blades in them... well, order comes and she ordered 10 of the 100 packs. I still have no 11 blades today!

I just got a PM from another member I'm trading with, who asked me, "Why did this package get returned to me with the message "no such address"?"

Well that's because I sent him a combination of my current and previous address. :unsure:

I'm turning 45 this year, I think the senior moments are starting.

I just got a PM from another member I'm trading with, who asked me, "Why did this package get returned to me with the message "no such address"?"

Well that's because I sent him a combination of my current and previous address. :unsure:

I'm turning 45 this year, I think the senior moments are starting.

I'll be 48 this summer. Yes, they change from DUH to "senior moments" at 45. Welcome to the club!

I had been building an Aurora Chitty Bang Bang. Full wings splayed, with copter blades mounted and spinnable. I picked up the wings and spread the ol Testors glue across the mounting spars. Placing the model straight and even across them I set it on top of a couple pieces of two-by-four to dry overnight. In the morning there it was. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, ready to soar...with the copter blades hanging DOWN UNDER THE WINGS!!! I had mounted the wings upside down! :angry:

Edited by MAGNUM4342

Duh moments hmmm

Do want the whole list or just the top ten

Help me out here,,,,,,

1- get almost there and -- DUH- ya forgot to put my teeth in.

2- walk around Wal-mart for a hour before, DUH, your wife says your zipper is down

3- get up from the couch, and halfway to the kitchen, DUH, ya forgot what you was after

4- after spend hours detailing your Chevy small block,, DUH, ya wonder why the distributer is in the front.. 5- get almost to the Hobby shop and remember..DUH.. its Sunday and there not OPEN

6-

7-what i did in the 60's...DUH .. killed a lot of brain cells

8-

Edited by rel14

Most of my DUH moments usually involve me doing something that stupid that ends up causing me to bleed. One that didn't though was when I came home from work, sat down in my recliner, fell asleep, woke up a couple hours later thinking I had slept there the whole night. Got up, got ready for work and was walking out the door to the car when my wife FINALLY informed me that it was actually 7:00 PM not 7:00 AM. Seems she realized what I was doing and was too amused by it to tell me until I was walking out the door. Yes, my wife DOES have a sense of humor like that.

Building a model one time, my workbench (computer desk) was packed with junk I was working on. There was a knock on the front door, and I was holding the model in my hand. So I got up, set the model down, went to answer the door. A new kit that I had been waiting for had just arrived! YAY!!! Came back in to my desk, and sat down... CRUNCH!!! I had set the model on the chair because there was no room on the desk and had completely forgotten that I put it there...

As for age, I don't believe it has anything to do with DUH moments... All my DUH moments are courtesy of all the times I banged my head on a solid surface, right after a DUH moment!!! :lol:

Back in the 1980s when I ran the CAD room, we would cut the drawings with a metal straight edge and eXacto blade. I asked the department secretary to order 10 packs of blades, you know the packs with 10 blades in them... well, order comes and she ordered 10 of the 100 packs. I still have no 11 blades today!

Geez Tom that's not a DUH moment, that's a gift ! I can't count how many times I get all ready to BMF and DUH...I have no new blades ! Then I go to my local Wal-Mart to get some blades..and they have none. I swear there is another model builder in my town buying up all the #11's at Wal-Mart ! :unsure:

One that has happened to me more than once- I'll install the interior and chassis and be working on some of the final assembly stuff, then I'll look over and see the shifter still laying on the workbench.

Sometimes it spills over into when I'm mailing stuff out for a trade- last week I sent something out, and realized I'd put my own address in the 'ship to' space and the other guy's address in the return space. Fortunatelly I caught that before I sent it.

Worst one for me ( it happens on a regular basis btw ) is I'll walk into a room , or up to the bench , or up to the tool box or look into the fridge .

Only to stand back and say to myself, Now what was it I was after again?

Model wise I'll open a dozen models kits looking for that certain whatchamacallit, only to find a dozen other things I was looking for at some point earlier in time. Then when I get back the the bench , I'll realize I never looked for the item I went looking for in the 1st place. So the process starts over , and over, and over

When I was 12, I decided to take on the AMT '57 Ford. I had seen a couple other modelers do this kit up as a two-tone car, and I decided to take it up a notch by two-toning mine with candy paint. The plan was to use Pactra Candy Strawberry over silver on the roof and the body under the trim line. The rest of the car would be unpainted white styrene.

I don't recall having built a model with opening doors before then, but for some reason I was concerned that the door edges wouldn't get good paint coverage unless I sprayed them separately, so I masked the body off, then, despite the late hour, I decided to mask the doors as well. When that was done I mounted them on opposite sides of a piece of cardboard to reduce the chances of any overspray reaching them.

The good news: Hardware store masking tape, meticulously applied, did a great job and gave me a crisp line of separation.

The bad news: I had gotten a little too anxious to get paint on the thing and masked the high side of one door and the low side of the other. Sadly, the first light coats were already on it before it dawned on me. I didn't know of any safe paint removers back then, so the kit got put away & never got finished.

I wish some of those old Pactra colors were still available...

Edited by Monty